Not an Aircraft, but A/C related. FDR in '51

Greets all,

This is one of 3 fits of the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVB-42) that I'm doing for the FDR Association.

I have about 40 hours in this, so far.

This is the 1951 version, I'll be doing her in 1961 and 1971 as well.

Now some of my a/c profiles will have a place to roost :shoot:

FDR_51side.jpg

The Boat

FDR_51Prof.jpg

The Island

FDR_51guns.jpg

5 inch 54s.

The bear in doing this is trying to get photos of what the bulkheads looked like behind the

guns, even with all the refs I have on this.

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by mudrat

Wow ! Beautiful work Stephen ...

I really like how you've given it a "Retro Artwork" feel somehow ... I'm not sure if that was wait you were aiming for but I feel that ...

Gregg

Gregg,

I suspect that impression you are getting is based on the dimensionless aspects of the illustration.

In some cases I have simplified the complexity of elements or omitted highlighting the tops of certain elements because those highlights would be only 1 pixel wide and would not be discernable at the actual viewing distance on the print.

Due to time constraints, at present, if it cannot be detected by the human eye on the print, I have not taken the time to illustrate it.

The large detailed images here look featureless as a result, I think. With more time available I will go back and add these elements, and weather the boat as well.

And now, a few hours since the above was written, I've revisited the illustration.

FDR_51bridge2.jpg

See what a few lines of highliting can do for a picture (compare with above).

Regards,

Stephen

Edited by mudrat