Just printed my first custom decals!

I just printed my first set of custom decals on my new printer! Just something simple, a set of generic tailcodes for modern jets.

The printer is an Epson CX5400 all in one printer/scanner/color copier. The printer used ink called "Durabrite" which is supposedly smudge and water resistant.

The paper used was Experts Choice ink jet paper (item #122). The sheet ran thru the printer without any problems at all. I printed at "best photo quality" and used the setting for photo glossy paper. When the sheet came out, I ran my finger across it, and it was already dry! no smudging at all! I did spray some of the Testors decal fixative on the sheet, but I'm gonna try another one without it and see if it works.

I havent applied any of the decals yet. But that's planned for later tonight....

here's info on the printer:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consume...es&oid=36478881

I'm not an Epson employee, I'm just really impressed with this printer so far! :rolleyes:

Mike

Please make sure you post the further results of your testing. I'm very interested in getting into making my own decals. Lots of little one time projects to do.

If that printer does a good job (at a cheaper price like that) then I'm certainly interested.

Cheers,

Tilt

I just tried applying the decals and they work great! The fixative is a must tho. I tried dipping one of the decals with out it, and after a minute or two, the ink did flake off, but with the fixative they worked well. I'm sold on this baby. Only thing I can see that it wont do is print white. I did a set of grey tailcodes too, and they were a touch opaque, but on a grey jet this would look fine I suppose!

This printer may be the answer to our custom decal making needs!

:rolleyes:

Mike

Guest Mustang2654

Does anyone out there have an HP 9600 series photo-quality printer out there? If so, what decal paper works well with it and HP inks? Do you use the Testor fixative with it? I've heard that MicroMark decal paper works well with this type of printer (this is what I own). I, too, have some short-term decal projects to do, and I just want to buy the stuff that others have tried sucessfully. Thanks for any and all advice.

VBR and model on!

Pete L'H. :rolleyes:

This is something that works for me.I have been doing this with decent results for the NASCAR kits I do.

Using a program on my computer"Printmaster" I make up the art I want.Then print a photo quality print on good photo paper.Next I use a sheet of "ExpertsChoice "Clear decal film.

These are both taken to a local colour copier guy.He runs the decal paper through the bypass tray.

Instant decals!! :woo: I have had no problems with these decals,no need to clear coat,no ink runs,microsol/set have had no effect.

Only down side is no white :( and the can be a bit translucent over dark colours :angry: .I have found that when I know I will be going over darker colours I cut and past several of the same image,so I can layer them up to get a less translucent image.

These things have worked for me.I have not tried their inkjet paper at all so i will not comment as to whether the same proceedure will work :rolleyes: .

Try something along these lines,experiment :) .Share your results,thats what this place is all about :D

Vern

i use the epson stylus c82, which also uses the durabrite ink. good printouts but unfortunately i can't get my hands on any decal fixative. could i use some clear coat spray can instead?

anyone know any other way around this?

DW Aungst printed some custom decals for me but they didnt have the fixative on it. He suggested possibly using Future as a fixative. I think that would work ok, but I would try it out on a scrap sheet first. If it does work lemme know!

I dont see any reason why a clear gloss coat wouldnt work either.

Mike

I just tried applying the decals and they work great! The fixative is a must tho. I tried dipping one of the decals with out it, and after a minute or two, the ink did flake off, but with the fixative they worked well. I'm sold on this baby. Only thing I can see that it wont do is print white. I did a set of grey tailcodes too, and they were a touch opaque, but on a grey jet this would look fine I suppose!

This printer may be the answer to our custom decal making needs!

:woo:

Mike

how 'bout snapping a picture for us to see?? i'm very interested in making my own decals too, but would like to see the finished product :thumbsup:

Matt, I have been using Experts-Choice (Bare Metal) decal film for years and some HP color laser printers at my office, and a final coat of Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film. I think you can get similar results using a color copier.

:thumbsup:

Matt, I have been using Experts-Choice (Bare Metal) decal film for years and some HP color laser printers at my office, and a final coat of Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film. I think you can get similar results using a color copier.

:thumbsup:

As I mentioned earlier I have been using Experts Choice paper,doing my own art ,printing a photo quality print,then off to a local copy place.Here he runs the paper through the bypass tray.Very good results and no need to clear coat with anything!

I had on the first try used Microscales product.It went on fine,however the decals just wanted to roll up when put in water and would not stick to anything :( .Also when I sprayed the decal paper with the clear,I had it taped to a piece of cardboard.upon removing the tape,all the clear coat came with it :woo: :huh: :o Really all in one big piece.I thought,nothing to lose.put the decals in water and now they stick fine and no clear.Solvents have had no effect on the decals either :D :D :D

it has worked for me.Give it a try.

Vern

This is something that works for me.I have been doing this with decent results for the NASCAR kits I do.

Using a program on my computer"Printmaster" I make up the art I want.Then print a photo quality print on good photo paper.Next I use a sheet of "ExpertsChoice "Clear decal film.

These are both taken to a local colour copier guy.He runs the decal paper through the bypass tray.

Instant decals!! :P I have had no problems with these decals,no need to clear coat,no ink runs,microsol/set have had no effect.

Only down side is no white :( and the can be a bit translucent over dark colours :D .I have found that when I know I will be going over darker colours I cut and past several of the same image,so I can layer them up to get a less translucent image.

These things have worked for me.I have not tried their inkjet paper at all so i will not comment as to whether the same proceedure will work :thumbsup: .

Try something along these lines,experiment :cheers: .Share your results,thats what this place is all about :D

Vern

Attached you will find the results of a NASCAR decal sheet I have done

Vern