Does anybody know where in the Internet can I find an UNDERSTANDABLE article about making PE? I read the one here on ARC but it's very confusing...

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo ;)

PS: I don't mean to be rude with the article's author. Thanks!! :P

I was with scalephantomphixer last weekend (whoa, cool Phantom and Airbus! :lol: ), and asked exactly the same question. He does things like that, and we were talking and discussing a long time. My final answer for myself is:

If you are not that deep in the hobby to really doing this often, it's not worth it. To much money and work for to less fruits you can earn. But that's my opinion. And if you are interested doing something like Eduard or the like, you must invest at least 30000 $ to get up to that quality. Trying to sell a low run will result in a PE creator hobby, away from building any plastic model anymore.

That’s as well the reason Pierre does not accept to create custom PE for others. To much money and time consuming for a marginal quality product.

But you could ask Pierre directly. He will perhaps post here as well, automatically.

Pierre: Is that about what’s to say about? Correct me if I'm wrong. BTW, I had some good flights after. Was nice to meet you once! :cheers: :lol: :lol:

skyraider

Ricardo,

I wrote an article on how to make your own PE. You can read it in the Tools 'n Tips section, or jump to it right here. If this is the one you mention for being confusing, then just ask and I'll try to help you out.

As Skyraider mentions, it is a teadious job, and you must think it over twice before getting started, or you'll be disappointed. You need to invest money into decent tools (around USD 500 is a very minimum), and if you consider approaching Eduard's quality, well, hmmm, forget!

I was discussing the topic with Skyraider last week, and both of us came to the same conclusion. Yes you can do it, for your own usage, if you're not running on a budget ad are a calm type of guy. Making a business of it does not pay for the time, you better go and wash cars!

I once did a PE on request for someone, but gave up. I did it for free, as a service from modeller to modeller, but it drove me crazy: the guy sent me drawings of the piece he needed, the size was wrong. Then the PE I sent was the opposite of what he wanted, then the second set was out of scale :thumbsup:

Not trying to paint the devil on the wall, but just drawing your attention to possible frustrations. Go and read my article, and make up your opinion if this is something for you.

Cheers,

Pierre

... BTW, I had some good flights after. Was nice to meet you once! ...

My pleasure Skyraider :) Yes, we spent some fine time, and I'd love to to do it again! Good to hear you hade nice flights, and that the pupils behaved well :cheers:

Thanks for the inspiration about the paint scheme of my Airbus!

:thumbsup:

Pierre

Ricardo,

I wrote an article on how to make your own PE. You can read it in the Tools 'n Tips section, or jump to it right here. If this is the one you mention for being confusing, then just ask and I'll try to help you out.

As Skyraider mentions, it is a teadious job, and you must think it over twice before getting started, or you'll be disappointed. You need to invest money into decent tools (around USD 500 is a very minimum), and if you consider approaching Eduard's quality, well, hmmm, forget!

I was discussing the topic with Skyraider last week, and both of us came to the same conclusion. Yes you can do it, for your own usage, if you're not running on a budget ad are a calm type of guy. Making a business of it does not pay for the time, you better go and wash cars!

I once did a PE on request for someone, but gave up. I did it for free, as a service from modeller to modeller, but it drove me crazy: the guy sent me drawings of the piece he needed, the size was wrong. Then the PE I sent was the opposite of what he wanted, then the second set was out of scale :wave:

Not trying to paint the devil on the wall, but just drawing your attention to possible frustrations. Go and read my article, and make up your opinion if this is something for you.

Cheers,

Pierre

Pierre,

the article is kinda long. Can you please make a list of the chemicals used for etching?

BTW, what's cellotape?

TIA,

Ricardo

Pierre,

the article is kinda long. Can you please make a list of the chemicals used for etching?

BTW, what's cellotape?

Ricardo,

So you don't have the patience to read an article, uhh? Then I am afraid PE is not for you...

Sorry dude, but most of the answers to you questions are there (chemicals, where to buy, etc).

Cellotape is a brand for regular transparent tape, the one you use every day at your office.

HTH,

Pierre

Pierre,

BTW, what's cellotape?

Ricardo,

So you don't have the patience to read an article, uhh? Then I am afraid PE is not for you...

Sorry dude, but most of the answers to you questions are there (chemicals, where to buy, etc).

Cellotape is a brand for regular transparent tape, the one you use every day at your office.

HTH,

Pierre

Pierre,

It's not that I don't have the patience, as a matter of fact I've read it several times, the problem is I live in Southamerica, not in Northamerica; and I was hoping if you could give me the generic name or chemical composition of the chemicals used in the process. Besides, if I get them at a chemical supply store I get much cheaper prices. :cheers:

TIA,

Ricardo <_<

Ricardo,

The only chemical product I know, for buying it locally at my drugstore, is the ferric-chloride. Its the etchant used to "eat away" the brass. I do not know the composition of the photoresist, etc. I find these products by their names on the Net (references mentioned in the article), but I ignore their chemical composition.

HTH,

Pierre