Weathering Japanese Plane - Rex

I'm in the home run of building Tamiya's 1/48 Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu "Rex".

I'm done with the painting and decaling. only task to do is to attach the canopy.

Now the question...

How to weather this particalar aircraft? I already base-coated this with Aluminum, in case I want to have the metal see through. I want it to look accurately weathered.

Were these aircrafts used often and have a beat-up look? thanks!!!

pictures will greatly help :doh:

Since it was a float plane is was duly painted and primed to avoid corrosion.

All the photos I have seen so far show it not chipped at all.

I think you must concentrate on wear made by salty water and sunlight, nothing more than that.

Remember that a few based in Singapore could have been more weared (but there is no photo available) whilesome based in Japan were in a sweet water lake not in sea water.

Hope this helps.

Paolo

Remember that a few based in Singapore could have been more weared (but there is no photo available) whilesome based in Japan were in a sweet water lake not in sea water.

Hope this helps.

Paolo

I did not know that Rex was based in Singapore. I knew Aichi Jakes were there but I wasn't aware of Rexs. Could you elaborate a bit more? (Eg, unit, where in Singapore, etc) I'm very interested in Japanese aircraft that were based in the Singapore/Malaya region.

:D

I did not know that Rex was based in Singapore. I knew Aichi Jakes were there but I wasn't aware of Rexs. Could you elaborate a bit more? (Eg, unit, where in Singapore, etc) I'm very interested in Japanese aircraft that were based in the Singapore/Malaya region.

:D

Will check my references, actually I cant't remember where I read about it if in one of the Bloody Shambles (Buffalos over Singapore etc...) books or in one of Sakaida's books but will check and let you know if I will be able to find more informations.

Cheers

Paolo

Will check my references, actually I cant't remember where I read about it if in one of the Bloody Shambles (Buffalos over Singapore etc...) books or in one of Sakaida's books but will check and let you know if I will be able to find more informations.

Cheers

Paolo

Thanks Paolo! :soapbox:

Thanks Paolo! :soapbox:

Well, it was not an easy quest but I finnaly found it! :blink:

It was on Air Enthusiast number 31, the article is called THE FIGHTING FLOATPLANES OF THE JAPANESE IMPERIAL NAVY. On page 16 you can read:

[...]"Around the end of 1943 or early 1944, 15 of the new Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu float-fighters were delivered to Singapore Naval Base by an aircraft carrier. From here replacement pilots for the 934th Ku flew nine of the new aircraft to Ambon via Java and Balikpapan, Borneo. [...]

Hope this helps

Cheers

Paolo

It was on Air Enthusiast number 31, the article is called THE FIGHTING FLOATPLANES OF THE JAPANESE IMPERIAL NAVY. On page 16 you can read:

[...]"Around the end of 1943 or early 1944, 15 of the new Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu float-fighters were delivered to Singapore Naval Base by an aircraft carrier. From here replacement pilots for the 934th Ku flew nine of the new aircraft to Ambon via Java and Balikpapan, Borneo. [...]

Wow, thanks so much for the quick response, Paolo! :worship:

So, they were brand new when delivered to Singapore.......

That probably means minimal weathering & paint chipping when in Singapore but possibly they became more weathered once they reached Ambon. I'm guessing they were also painted in 934th Ku unit markings. you know, I've never really shown much interest in the Rex. I was more partial to it's offspring, the Shiden Kai (George). But now, because of the Rex's Singapore connection, I've found a new interest in building one :)

http://www.33ff.com/flags/S_flags/flags_of_Singapore.gif

Well, it was not an easy quest but I finnaly found it! :blink:

You're effort is VERY appreciated. I'm always amazed at the lengths that modelers go to help out another fellow modeler. :thumbsup: