Any ideas on the colors of the Intermountain B-17?

Anyone have any info as to the colors of the Intermountain B-17 N809Z when the CIA used it for "Operation Coldfeet" in 1962

104-1.jpg

All the photos I have been able to find are black and white. I have pictures of the aircraft in the later "Thunderball" scheme with the single blue stripe, and the later 1968 scheme with two blue stripes.

Looks like perhaps light gray lower surfaces with light blue trim? Any info would be appreciated

So far I've only found these pics. Look at the third and fourth pics. Apparently the aircraft is now preserved at the Evergreen museum in Oregon, where they also have the Spruce Goose. Maybe they can help you out, because the Evergreen Corporation bought the aircraft from Intermountain back in the early seventies.

Edited by Pete
So far I've only found these pics. Look at the third and fourth pics. Apparently the aircraft is now preserved at the Evergreen museum in Oregon, where they also have the Spruce Goose. Maybe they can help you out, because the Evergreen Corporation bought the aircraft from Intermountain back in the early seventies.

Thanks, Pete. The pics in the middle of the page are the "1968" scheme, with the two blue stripes, which it had until it was turned into a firebomber.

I've talked to the Evergreen museum guys, but unfortunately no one goes back to the Intermountain days (Evergreen essentially "bought out" Intermountain) and they don't have any more info.

I found a post on another forum from someone who claims their father did test work with the Fulton system on 09Z at Edwards prior to "Coldfeet", but it's a stale post and I haven't been able to contact him.

Matt, there was no paint on the lower side of this B-17. This plane was in and out of San Diego NAS, and was in the hanger for a wheel chance. I remember it because we bent the nose boom putting in our hanger. I was crew to a R4D-8 going through a O&R from Kingsville NAS Texas. "Boats"..