57th FG 65th FS "Wicked Wabbit" - How it looks?

Hello,

I am looking for any info about 65th FS P-47D 42-75719, no. 44, "Wicked Wabbit" and how the aircraft looks during the service.

I have the COLOR pictures taken by his pilot Jim Hare during the deployment to Corsica in 1944 when the airplane was in OD-NG scheme with red strip on cowl and with yellow bands on wings and tail planes. Yellow "Wicked Wabbit" with red shadow on right side only, white "44" in stencil font. That is the what you can see on photographs.

You can find Jim's pictures here http://57thfightergroup.org/pictures/james...e/corsica1.html.

BUT... (there is always a BUT...)...

So there is also a B/W picture of this craft with repainted (or replaced) bottom part of engine cowling panels. And it also looks that the airplane is fitted with NMF wings. There is also a decal sheet with this livery with NMF wings researched by Carl Molesworth.

I also asked Jim Hare via Mark O'Boyle but Jim did not recall his ship having replaced wing etc.

So if there is anybody with more details regarding the NMF-winged "wicked Wabbit" or an info if this modification ever exists please let me know.

I will kindly welcome any additional info.

Thanks a lot in advance

Alexandr Uhlik, Prague, Czech Rep.

Edited by auhlik