I believe the entire cabin & cockpit color for the UH-1D is 36231 gray but what about the pedestal & MIP? The helo is not a medivac bird or gun ship. I am certain the MIP is flat black but the pedestal & overhead console color I am unsure about.

Any photos of that era UH-1D?

Basically just pick a color that I feel realistic. Sounds good!

Here's a UH-1H restored as a 229th Huey by The Army Aviation Heritage Foundation. The cockpit colors are Vietnam era accurate.

PICT1858.jpg

PICT1853.jpg

Here's the overhead panel in the UH-1B on display at the Army Aviation Museum, also Vietnam accurate:

UH-1B60-355469.jpg

I hope that helps.

Ray

Here's a UH-1H restored as a 229th Huey by The Army Aviation Heritage Foundation. The cockpit colors are Vietnam era accurate.

I hope that helps.

Ray

Interesting, I am so use to seeing a black MIP on aircraft!

• 4 weeks later...

Now what about seat colors. I see green canvas covering on the troop seats on a restored bird but not sure if that is accurate color for Vietnam operations. Also, same thing with pilot seats, black, green or gray? I am leaning toward green on all and black for pilot armor.

Now what about seat colors. I see green canvas covering on the troop seats on a restored bird but not sure if that is accurate color for Vietnam operations. Also, same thing with pilot seats, black, green or gray? I am leaning toward green on all and black for pilot armor.

David,

By 67 most birds should have transitioned to armored seats and from what I have seen most of the red canvas was gone as well on troop seats. If the D you are building was an early manufactured bird, however, red wouldn't be out of the question for the bench seat in the cabin. The pilot/copilot seats should be green with black edges. also, you might want to consider depicting the armor plating slid back as it was when the bird was on the ground. Here are a few pics that might help.

Ray

Early style seats in a UH-1B, same style in early D's:

UH-1B60-355465-2.jpg

UH-1B60-3554129.jpg

Here's what you are probably looking for, though:

PICT1839.jpg

PICT1898.jpg

PICT1892.jpg

PICT1879.jpg

David,

By 67 most birds should have transitioned to armored seats and from what I have seen most of the red canvas was gone as well on troop seats. If the D you are building was an early manufactured bird, however, red wouldn't be out of the question for the bench seat in the cabin. The pilot/copilot seats should be green with black edges. also, you might want to consider depicting the armor plating slid back as it was when the bird was on the ground. Here are a few pics that might help.

Ray

Early style seats in a UH-1B, same style in early D's:

I started out making a "D" but my uncle corrected me saying he was on "H" models. Flying the Colonel around.....I think I will stick with the green seats.