Eurocopter / MBB BO-105 Giraffe?

Hi Guys,

This is gonna be a long, long shot...

Found a BO-105 PAH-1 that I missed out giving away. Might as well build it....

I remember a brown and yellow experimental BO-105 (first flown in the 80s) with a mast mounted sensor "ball" (I think it was called Ophelia), ) The sensors, probably FLIR/LLTV, missile sights and radar (?), were produced by the French company SFIM (now part of EADS).

I googled but could only find one or two fuzzy pictures. I wonder whether anyone has pictures of both starboard and port profiles. Also, any picture of the cockpit (IP, sights, etc) and equipment in the main cabin would be gartefully received.

Cheers,

Giles

Thanks HAJO!

I would narrow the time frame down to the early 80s. I will look in my stash of magazines this weekend too.

BTW, do you have pictures of the experimental 500MD Defender from the same era. I am looking for a painting guide for the splinter camouflaged bird.

Cheers,

Giles

Here are two photos that I hope are of some use.

SCAN0026.jpg

The BO-105 "Ophelia" prototype.

SCAN0025.jpg

The 'splinter-camo' 500MD Defender. Of all the prototypes 500s flown by Hughes in the late seventies/early eighties, this is the one I know least about. It might possibly be the Hughes 500MD Defender that went to Sweden in June 1980 and was lost in a non-fatal crash caused by retreating-blade stall. It was undergoing trials with the Swedish Defence Forces at the time, hence the 'splinter-camo' perhaps?

LD.

Thanks LD!

Your two photos are useful indeed - these are two of my fav light birds!

The BO-105 "Giraffe" looked cute :D I want to build one "eventually"...

I am planing the "splinter-camoed" 500MD Defender for this Helicopter GB, but could not get sufficient info for the unique camo scheme.

Giles

That are exactly the pictures I was planning to provide!

Thanks!

You guys have been a great help. I will dig through my pile of old magazines and books over the weekend.

I doubt I will have all the information I wished I could get my hands on. But, there should be enough information to build a decent model.

Quite possibly, I suspect, I may have to take some artistic license... with both the BO-105 "Giraffe" and the splintered MD500.