Acrylic NMF Experiment

Unfortunately, I can't yet show you pictures, but I wanted to let you acrylic users know about this experiment that I tried just recently for getting a more vibrant NMF using Polly Scale metallics (hand-brushed, but this could be done with an airbrush with even better results I have no doubt)

1) Apply two coats of Polly Scale Steam Power Black (or any black you have on hand)

2) When thoroughly dry, buff to a high sheen with graduated abrasive cloths

3) Apply two coats of Future (you could also substitute PS Clear Gloss but the Future is more reflective)

4) When Future is thoroughly set, apply Polly Scale Flat Aluminum (or ATSF Silver or Stainless Steel as desired)

5) Buff this as needed

First effort, done on a scrap fuselage, looks very promising (much shinier and smoother than I've seen with NMF acrylics heretofore). I'm going to use this tecnhique on my Dog Sabre in the near future.

Just thought I'd let ya know!

:thumbsup:

Old Blind Dog

I'd love to see some pictures. Just how much shinier are we talking? Here's my 1/72 KP MiG-19S shot with PollyScale ATSF Silver over bare plastic (light grey), coated with Future, and followed by MM Acryl semigloss topcoat.

These days though I much prefer kitchen foil for bare metal finishes. It's a lot more forgiving of surface imperfections than paint and hey, nothing looks more like aluminum than aluminum. :thumbsup:

I'd have to say about the same level of sheen. If I were to buff and apply another coat of Future might even be shinier. . .(Nice looking MiG by the way, Old 72s)

I agree about foils. . .it's just that I simply enjoy painting so much more!

I hope very shortly to be up and running with a digital camera and will try to put some of my models where my mouth is!

:thumbsup:

Old Blind Dog