1/24 MAD Magazine AA/FC WIP

Just started this kit.

026.jpg

It is Revell's 1/24 MAD Magazine Top Fuel Funny Car. This car was driven by Jerry Toliver during the 1998 NHRA Season. So far, I've got the tube chassis built and the body primed and ready for paint. Working on the engine right now to. Hopefully I'll have some more progress soon.

019.jpg

008.jpg

I love that kit! Built one myself about nine years ago and enjoyed every minute of it except the decals. They were typical R/M decals of the time so they needed some serious coaxing to work. I ended up using a hair dryer to soften them as I applied the graphics seeing as setting solutions were useless.

I look forward to seeing how your build progresses.

Cheers,

Alby

Thanks for the tip on the decals. I'll try to use a hairdryer on them.

Sprayed the body today with Testors Purple-Licious Lacquer. Turned out pretty good. Still needs to be decaled and cleared. Also painted the chassis and engine but the chassis looks too much like chrome and turned out way too sloppy, so it will need repainting. Still a long way to go.

005.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

023.jpg

Edited by 84SSccc
  • 4 months later...

Been a while but it ain't dead..... yet

About pulled my hair out trying to get the first few decals on so I decided to take a hiatus. I really didn't know if I even want to attempt the rest of them.

MMFC.jpg

That was the closest I could get the hood decal to conform to all the edges. Tried the hairdryer method and that did help a little bit but I am hoping that once the clear goes on, they will finally settle.

MMFC2.jpg

MMFC3.jpg

MMFC4.jpg

Well I it just so happens that I caught the modeling bug a few days ago and decided to give the kit another shot only to open the box up to find the chassis broken in a few spots and warped.

MMFC5.jpg

MMFC6.jpg

MMFC7.jpg

Luckily I have a spare.

MMFC9.jpg

MMFC8.jpg

Kind of fed up with Alfred E. Neuman right now.

Alright I got the side decals put on. I just need to start working on the chassis some.

BTW, anyone know how do get those darn wrinkles out of the decals? I've used a hairdryer, water, solvents, and just about everything but they don't seem to want to smooth out. It makes the whole quality of the model look poor.

MM2.jpg

MM3.jpg

MM4.jpg

MM5.jpg

Nice to see this build again. Nice choice on the color, it's looks the bees knees! As far as the decals, make a small pin hole with a needle into the wrinkled areas and then adding some warm water so the decal softens up a bit. Use a dampened paper towel and apply pressure. They'll eventually lay down, it just takes some persuasion (I know your pain, they fought me tooth and nail when I built mine).

Thanks for posting an update, it's looking great so far!

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore
Train of thought was derailed.
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice to see this build again. Nice choice on the color, it's looks the bees knees! As far as the decals, make a small pin hole with a needle into the wrinkled areas and then adding some warm water so the decal softens up a bit. Use a dampened paper towel and apply pressure. They'll eventually lay down, it just takes some persuasion (I know your pain, they fought me tooth and nail when I built mine).

Thanks for posting an update, it's looking great so far!

Cheers,

Alby

Thanks for the advice and complements! I was able to get them smoothed out a little using that method. I also put a coat of clear on it because I am going to start masking the body off to spray the yellow spoiler. The Chassis has also see a lot of progress since the last update. It certainly won't be a show quality model but for my rookie modeling skills, I think it will turn out alright. Should look good on my shelf.

MM-1.jpg

MM2-1.jpg

MM3-1.jpg

MM4-1.jpg

MM5-1.jpg

MM6.jpg