Bf 109 G5 question

hi

I need to know if the DF radio Loop was used by the early type G5.

This early type did carried the long mast and the FuG16z.

Why I want to know?

My uncles Friend is working on a G5 at Seppe holland. I 've seen it but I wonder if that loop is correct.

The MG131 guncowls show the early type aswell.

SQbook shows only late versions carried a smaller mast along with the IFF25a and radio loop.

So, anything can happen?

Anyone a clue?

kind Rgds,

Duncan

To answer your question Duncan...yes....some G-5's used the DF Loop....and even some carried the tall antennae mast while others utilized the shorter mast. It truly all depends on the particular aircraft, as well as Werknummer block.

Greg

Thx Greg,

Wnr. was 15043, so this particular G5 was from an early stage production since only +/- 400 were build. Kurt Soldorf was the pilot, he bailed out near Schiphol, 1943, after been hit by 3 P47s.

I reckon the DF-loop tobe ok then but it still looks a bit weird to me.

kind regards.

Duncan

Quite alright Duncan and glad to help. Jochen Prien and Peter Rodeike's {Messerschmitt Bf 109 F, G & K Series - An Illustrated Study} shows a line drawing of a G-5 from production batches 26000, 27000 & 110000 with the DF Loop.

However, with this specific Wnr. (15043) it may well have not had the DF loop as it's made mention of specifically in Marco Fernandez-Sommerau's {Messerschmitt Bf 109 Recognition Manual} on page 67, " Early G-5's had no Zielflugvorsatz 16 with their FuG 16Z radios and lacked the characteristic loop antennae." What's ironic, however, is there is a photo of a G-5 above this caption that clearly does show the DF loop in place. Go figure.

I did a bit of a search for Kurt Soldorf on various search engines as well as a few Luftwaffe links and came up empty handed. I guess, to be sure, the best bet on whether his fighter had the DF loop would be to start with what Jagdgeschwader he flew with during this time and perhaps begin the research there, looking for specific photo's of his actual plane and possibly finding it. The "fun" part of Luftwaffe aircraft that drives those like myself are these types of anomalies and doing the legwork to find out why (if at all possible) to some of these differences even within a series of like variants of a plane. Yet this too maddens others who either don't want to bother or don't care. If you should have any questions still feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Greg

Hi Greg,

once I look in the Jochen Prien and Peter Rodeike's, page 135, the G5 shows a late serie, with the small mast and there for a DF loop aswell.

Early G5s had the Fug7a or Fug16z, if these had the Fug25a IFF aswell, I dunno.

If Sommerau's comment is correct...

These are pictures I like to show you.

I first need to check the Wnr again (it can't be 15043 since the nummer starts with 15200, so, but I know its a Early G5).

P10400_66.jpg

P10400_70.jpg

P104007_4.jpg

thanks again Greg.

Duncan

Quite alright Duncan and glad to help. Jochen Prien and Peter Rodeike's {Messerschmitt Bf 109 F, G & K Series - An Illustrated Study} shows a line drawing of a G-5 from production batches 26000, 27000 & 110000 with the DF Loop.

However, with this specific Wnr. (15043) it may well have not had the DF loop as it's made mention of specifically in Marco Fernandez-Sommerau's {Messerschmitt Bf 109 Recognition Manual} on page 67, " Early G-5's had no Zielflugvorsatz 16 with their FuG 16Z radios and lacked the characteristic loop antennae." What's ironic, however, is there is a photo of a G-5 above this caption that clearly does show the DF loop in place. Go figure.

I did a bit of a search for Kurt Soldorf on various search engines as well as a few Luftwaffe links and came up empty handed. I guess, to be sure, the best bet on whether his fighter had the DF loop would be to start with what Jagdgeschwader he flew with during this time and perhaps begin the research there, looking for specific photo's of his actual plane and possibly finding it. The "fun" part of Luftwaffe aircraft that drives those like myself are these types of anomalies and doing the legwork to find out why (if at all possible) to some of these differences even within a series of like variants of a plane. Yet this too maddens others who either don't want to bother or don't care. If you should have any questions still feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Greg

Edited by cag_200

G'day Greg,

this G5 from JG3 Udet is at Seppe Airfield, between Roosendaal and Etten-leur, Holland. It belongs to J. my uncle's friend, who together are working on this project for over 10 years.

Seems this is the only surviving G5 in the world. People from Canada or Japan come to see it, it can be seen in the airfields museum, there where my uncle works.

This G3 was totally smashed into the ground, a complete wreck. All parts are G5 original. J. told me he got the canopy in norway, also from a G5. Must be hard to collect G5 parts which aren't much left in the world due to the small number of aircraft which got produced during the war, especially early types.

Duncan

Duncan.

Those are truly some outstanding pictures and I'm quite sure locating parts must be maddening as well as quite costly. Still, what a treat to own one of the only G-5's left. Fantastic stuff.

Greg