Hi,

I am currently building a R/C SU-27 Flanker for electric power. It has a decent shape, but it is what the R/C world calls 'sport scale' i.e. It actually bears little resemblence to the real fighter (apart from the general feel etc). I have asked the same question in R/C forums, but do not have any decent responses.

I would like it as close as scale as possible. Strangely enough i am fine with the aerodynamic data, including reshaping of the aerofoils and working out the requisite reynolds numbers (i can get to fly), but i having a problem getting decent 3 views of scale flankers and then scaling that drawing up to match the R/C drawing. If i can do that, i can work out the delta (i.e. the difference between the 2 plans), and then modify the formers and structures to match as closely as possible. To make this flanker, as close as scale as possible, i will have to increase the size of the plane, to fit larger motors and increase wing area.

What is making this difficult for me is that the original plans are not set to scale, so i do not know what to scale up to. Another condition is that there is only certain type's of motor/fan that will fit; It will determine the scale up size, if you have a look at the plan at the nozzle exit, just where the burner cans attach to the body, this must be exactly 90mm - which is the diameter of the fan i wish to use. So the working diagram will be much larger. The plan can be found here http://savagelight.com/docs/Su-27Plans.pdf

The stats of the RC Plan are:

Wingspan: 36 inches

Length: 56 inches

RTF Weight: 108 ounces

Wing Area: 562 sq. in.

Wing Loading: 28 oz./sq. ft

The real questions are for me, how on earth do i get i) decent scale 3-views of a SU-27 ii) Scale them appropiately to the R/C plan so i can make modifications?

So I wonder if any of your great minds could help me in turning this good looking flanker into a larger scale version?

Kind Regards,

Dr Growcock

Edited by Dr Timothy Growcock

Many thanks for the drawings Berkut, they were most helpful. I will PM Flankerman as the other kind suggester mentioned (sorry, new here, cannot see your name in the reply box).

Any suggestions from anyone on how to scale up plans, to a set of plans that are not scale, and then modify them to suit the scale ones? Anyone?!

Tim