Rogozarski IK-3 (2157)

Hello, this is my current project, started yesterday.

It represents Rogozarski IK-3 - first Yugoslavian modern fighter that had its maiden flight in April 1938.

Total of 12 IK-3s were produced (+ 1st prototype), but only six were operational on April 6th, 1941. - the day of German invasion on Yugoslavia.

More info on this airplane that marked part of Yugoslavian aircraft industry's history, is available on following link:

http://ik-3.50webs.com/

Back to the kit.

This is typical short run kit, with a lot of flash on sprues, plastic itself is a bit hard, but easy for cutting and scribing.

Day01-01.jpg

I started from cockpit.

I rounded seat back because it is supposed to be like the one from Hawker Hurricane.

Middle part of floor is cut out to make room for hydraulics.

Headrest cushion was made rectangular, while it should be rounded, so I fixed it.

Day01-02.jpg

Next, I scribed lines on floor.. actually it would be more accurate to make these stripes from thinned sprue, but this is such a small detail so I chose to scribe it.

A piece of styrene is glued underneath floor as a base for hydraulics and command stick.

Seatbelts are made as Hawker Hurricane type from Tamiya tape...

Day02-01.jpg

Day02-02.jpg

Next step is cleaning fuselage halves and other parts from flash (oh, it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it! :D)..

Thanx for reading, all critiques and suggestions are warmly welcome! :cheers:

Sincere regards,

Srdjan

thanx Holmes :bandhead2:

if you meant do I have some new photos of this project, sorry but not yet - I was busy these days with A-7D for A-7/F-8 Groupbuild, but as from tomorrow I plan to continue sanding and cleaning of parts from flash....

but, if you mean on some other my models with yugoslavian markings, I put a topic with Fw190F-8 captured by yugoslavian partisans during WW2.. it is in "Display case" board

anyway, I still have a lot of projects with yugoslavian/serbian markings in plan, but let's do them one at a time :monkeydance:

(there will be jets also)

regards,

Srdjan

• 4 weeks later...

Hello friends :)

Finally some work in progress on this one!

Fuselage halves and cockpit have been joined together, while I put some stretched sprue on all joints of halves (there were pretty big gaps in there) to make puttying and sanding a bit easier...

Day03-01.jpg

Cockpit has been painted into mixture that is pretty similar to so-called "Rogozarsky blue"

Day03-02.jpg

Day03-03.jpg

Belly has been given its portion of stretched sprue too ;)

Day03-04.jpg

Part in front of air intake was cut away, and remade from piece of styrene, while air intake is now opened!

A bit of sanding will be required here...

Day03-05.jpg

These little "extensions" were made on wings, because they didn't exist, so glueing wings onto fuselage would be very challenging, and it is big question whether this joint would be hard enough later (I wouldn't like to get broken wings later - after camouflage)

Leading and trailing edges of wings were given a coat of Tamiya putty, so next step here is sanding...

Day03-06.jpg

Etched air cooler grill was glued on its position, while instrument panel was assembled and painted...

Day03-07.jpg

Next step is sanding, sanding, and more sanding... :D

Thanks for reading, :)

Srdjan

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx (hvala) Sebastijan(e) :thumbsup:

Hopefully we will soon see at least one plastic model of IK-3, and hopefully it will be more accurate than this one....

Anyway, here are the latest photos...

Wings and fuselage are glued together now

Day04-01.jpg

Joints of wings and fuselage are puttied and sanded/polished - as you can see, there was a bit more putty on those places!

Also, I scribed panel lines that were missing on bottom part of fuselage - I only did those "eye-catching" panel lines.

Circular lines on fuselage and air cooler were scribed freehand using sewing needle.

Day04-02.jpg

Day04-03.jpg

I riveted that "rear" panel using sewing needle...

Day04-04.jpg

These 5 "ribs" are structural details made from stretched sprue, and were glued at now flat bottom part of fuselage - IK-3 had flatten this part of tail, but USK molded it wrong - a bit rounded! I puttied gaps around "ribs" with Tamiya putty, and later this part was coated with Mr. Surfacer 1000, although few more coats of Surfacer will be required!

Day04-05.jpg

In following days I will sand & putty this part of fuselage, and then I'll take care of gun/cannon barrels....

Cheers,

Srdjan

Horizontal tails are glued to the fuselage...

Day05-01.jpg

Day05-02.jpg

Gun barrels are made from medical needles (0.3 & 0.4mm)

Day05-03.jpg

"ribbed" structures are overcoated with 3-4 layers of Mr.Surfacer 500, sanded and polished...

Day05-04.jpg

...so this part of the tail looks a bit more like real one :blink:

Day05-05.jpg

Thanx for reading, all comments and critiques are very welcome!

Srdjan

• 3 weeks later...

kit has been coated with Mr. Surfacer 1000

Day06-01.jpg

Day06-02.jpg

before that I glued etched tail wheel doors...

Day06-03.jpg

Preshading is done with Gunze H12 Flat Black

Day06-04.jpg

Day06-05.jpg

Camouflage is next step... soon!

Comments and critiques are very welcome :)

Thanx,

srdjan

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are.. in colour finally :salute:

As my example of IK-3 is one of few more that is being built in "Rogozarski IK-3" group-build on our local forum "Maketarski Kutak", following photo shows two more besides mine... (my IK-3 is the one with preshading)

For lighter "brown" colour we chose Gunze H71 Midstone...

Day07-02.jpg

Next colour was Tamiya NATO Green...

Day07-05.jpg

And then, we had unfortunate chain of events with thord colour - Chocolate Brown - Humbrol 98 was obviously old or something, so airbrush was choking and we couldn't maintain constant pressure from compressor... then we tried anything similar we had at hand, but had to use Lifecolor Chocolate Brown - not bad at the beggining of brushing, but then again problems with pressure occured, so I decided to repaint it with some other mixture today!

As I didn't have any dark brown in my stash, I decided to mix few Gunze colours (Red Brown, Black and Dark Earth), and.. voila... I succeeded!! :coolio:

Colours on photos are a bit brighter than in reality so take them with reserve!

Here are the small parts waiting for glueing at the end of work in few days time...

Day08-01.jpg

here is the upper camouflage....

Day08-02.jpg

Day08-03.jpg

Day08-04.jpg

Day08-05.jpg

Day08-06.jpg

and here is the lower cammo - "Rogozarski Blue" - mixed from Gunze IJN Green and IJA Grey...

Day08-07.jpg

Thanks for reading, all comments and critiques are very welcome!

Cheers,

Srdjan

• 4 months later...