Hey, I had some questions about rocket pods I felt that members of this forum might have some insight on. I'm trying to work out the relationships between the various 7- and 19-tube pods that have been developed over the years, since they all seem to have a more or less common lineage, though I could easily be wrong. I did a quick search on this forum and there were some threads that touched on this, but none recent. I thought I'd just start a new discussion. I have developed some flow charts based on what I think I know, but I'm more than willing to be corrected. Lines form direct relationships. Physical proximity without a connecting line means nothing, its just where I decided to stick things.

7-tube.jpg

19-tube.jpg

Here are some images to go with the charts:

7-Tube:

x-6a.jpg

10290.jpg

M-16-10.jpg

M-16-11.jpg

These two pictures show an LAU-32B/A (OD green, left/top) and an LAU-32A/A (white, right/bottom)

C2303U01.jpg

C2303U02.jpg

I have a problem with both of these line drawings (both from ORDATA, http://ordatamines.maic.jmu.edu/). They most likely came out of some official manual, but there are some discrepancies with what I've otherwise found. Firstly, as the two pictures of the LAU-32 series pods above indicate, at least some of the pods were not fitted with the shorting pin on top. From other documentation I've found, apparently these pods used the ground button noted as being for the LAU-49/A.

Secondly, both LAU-32/A series pods in those pictures are without an on-pod intervalometer. This makes sense, since the XM16/M16 armament subsystem (as well as the XM21/M21) had the intervalometer built into the firing controls in the aircraft cockpit. However, neither pod seems to show any indication of being fitted to allow for its installation. The same notes about the armament subsystem fire controls holds for the fire selector switch and its absence, with the exception that the LAU-32B/A pod above clearly has the provision for this to be installed. The rear pod view in the second drawing also shows firing contacts that clearly were not standard on the LAU-32 series until the LAU-32B/A.

Some Army pods:

800px-XM157_Rocket_Pod.jpg

XM157/XM157A

800px-XM158_Rocket_Pod.jpg

XM158/M158

Does anyone have a picture of an M200 or M200A1 that they're sure is an M200/M200A1? I had thought that the M200 differed from the XM159 in not having the slots for the aerodynamic fairings, but now I'm not sure. I've seen references that suggest that the M200 was the same as the LAU-61/A, which would just make it a matter of sorting out the differences between the late model LAU-3 types and the LAU-61/A. Its also not clear whether the XM159C, with its longer tubes had an equivalent in the USAF nomenclature system. None of the size differences provided in the diagrams from ORDATA match up. According to the Army documentation the difference in tube length between the XM159B and XM159C (and the XM157A and XM157B for that matter) should be 8 inches.

You have certainly taken time to do your research and I applaud you for your efforts but do exercise caution when using the information provided in ORDDATA as it is often incorrect. I think the problem with ORDDATA is the lack of knowledge and background in ordnance related technical information and to them a rocket pod is a rocket pod regardless of what the actual nomenclature is. Too often I have encountered the same image being used for several similar items and that can lead to identification issues if you have no other references available to verify what is published in ORDDATA.

Edited by jeffryfontaine

Very true about ORDATA, but I contacted them a while back and they are not the source on the line drawings. Those most likely came out of a USAF technical order that touched on rocket pods. They had no information on the original sources for the drawings associated with their listings though. Again, not the most useful.

Edited by thatguy96