How do you guys rivet clear HARD canopy plastic?

How do you guys make rivets into clear canopies? I've tried a pin vice with a small drill and a small needle, which both do a good job- but only temporarily. Over a few days or weeks the rivet marks tend to crack and just like your car windshield, they grow and grow.

Any ideas that work?

Thanks

Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear about your canopy woes. I've never come across the brittle plastic decaying after rivets are applied before.

When I've had a need to add rivets I've used the two methods that you've already tried.

(Instead of a pin I used a rivetting tool but the principle is the same.)

May I ask how much pressure you are applying or how deep you are making the rivet holes or how many turns you are making with the drill?

I managed to get reasonable rivets without using too much pressure (although I did slip and stab my finger with the rivetting tool once.... :bandhead2: ) On the slimmest framework I adopted the micro-drill bit in a pin vice but only twizzled the drill once or twice using very light pressure to just leave a very shallow hollow. After the wash is applied the rivets are visible.

I can't offer any more advice my friend, sorry. I hope I'm sure you'll overcome this minor glitch :bandhead2:

:bandhead2:

May I ask how much pressure you are applying or how deep you are making the rivet holes or how many turns you are making with the drill?

I managed to get reasonable rivets without using too much pressure (although I did slip and stab my finger with the rivetting tool once.... :rofl: ) On the slimmest framework I adopted the micro-drill bit in a pin vice but only twizzled the drill once or twice using very light pressure to just leave a very shallow hollow. After the wash is applied the rivets are visible.

I can't offer any more advice my friend, sorry. I hope I'm sure you'll overcome this minor glitch :monkeydance:

:whistle:

Thanks Guy. I used a small drill and pin, just like I did on my last Lancaster build, which caused me no problems as long as I didn't push too hard. I think the Academy clear plastic for this particular model (1/32 F-18) is just too hard and therefore brittle. The heated rivet tool idea above may be the ticket, but I'll obviously try it on some scrap before I attempt to rivet the real deal.