What is the correct gun sight & IP coaming for a P-51D-15NA?

Hi All,

I just received the Tamiya 32 scale Mustang and I am going to build it as a 361st FG Yellow Noser. The ones I am considering are all P-51D-15-NA. Tamiya gives us the options for the N-9 and K-14 gun sights and the early and late instrument panel coaming. I was hoping someone could answer the questions below.

1. Which gun sight is correct for the D-15 and, if the N-9, would they have retrofitted the K-14 at any time?

2. Which coaming is correct for the D-15, early or late style, and if early, if they did retrofit the K-14 would that also mean a change in the instrument panel coaming?

Thanks in advance for any help on these two questions.

Happy modeling and happy Mustangs!

Lonnie Berry

Miami, Fl

Hi Lonnie,

the N-9 is correct for a D-15, the K-14 was first installed during the D-20 production in October 44.

After that the K-14 was indeed retrofitted to some aircraft, so timing is important.

Finding a picture of the aircraft you want to build is the only way to be sure if it is after Oct/Nov 1944.

The early instrument panel coaming was used (without the stiffeners), these didn't change.

Hi Tourist,

Thanks! Much appreciated. I'll move forward now. I've pretty much settled on Urban Drew's 'Detroit Miss'. I've been looking for photos that might show me what his aircraft may have looked like around the time he shot down the 262's in Oct. 1944. I've found photos of his aircraft but no joy on seeing if he had the K-14 retrofitted by that time.

Happy modeling and happy Mustangs!

Lonnie Berry

Miami, FL

In October 44 it most likely still had the N-9, that's when the K-14 started to be installed at the factory.

It would have been a little longer for aircraft in the field to be retrofitted with a K-14 (if Detroit Miss ever was).