Hasegawa Su-33 and Su-27

Having recently received the new Hasegawa kit of the Sukhoi Su-33, I though I'd take a few pics to show the faults with Hasegawa's previous attempt at a Flanker - their Su-27.

Although a great kit (well detailed with crisp moulding that went together well) it suffered from an accuracy issue around the rear end..... its bum was too big!! :woot.gif:

I also always felt that the nose was also too big - not by much, but just enough to throw the shape off.

Anyway, here are some pics to show what I mean....

The new Su-33 is on the left - the old Su-27 on the right - you can see the width difference.

Su-33%20001.JPG

Here, the Su-33 upper fuselage is placed on top of the Su-27 lower fuselage....

Su-33%20002.JPG

As for the nose, there isn't much in it - but the old Su-27 is definitely a mm wider....

Su-33%20003.JPG

It looks like the wider rear end can be corrected without too much trouble - the jetpipes are more-or-less in the right place - its just a matter of reducing the outer panels to get the correct width.

I haven't tried - but I might be tempted to revisit the old Hasegawa Su-27 !! :thumbsup:

Ken

Now, this is a comparison i was waiting for someone to do. Thank you.

I am however a bit puzzled that you think the issue of hasegawa Su-27 is easily corrected. What is your plan to correct this issue?

One small request, could you do a comparing between Airfix Su-27 and Hasegawa Su-27 nose, in same fasion as you did with Su-33 vs Su-27? And if possible, comparing the two canopies... Reason i ask this is because i do have Su-33 kit, but i don't have Hasegawa's Su-27. The way to wide engine area is "hurting" my eyes. :crying2:

I know that the Airfix cockpit area is too small, but i don't know by how much. Wish i had some measurements of the real aircraft from that area.

Thank you Ken for this comparsion!!

One small request from me too.....if you Ken and could you do a comparing between Hasegawa Su-27 and Su-33 verticals in same fashion as you did with those other parts? Thanks in advance!!

Edited by su27rules

I, too, would like to see a comparison of the Airfix Su-27 and Hasegawa Su-33 parts. I've got a couple of the former in my collection earmarked for Sea Flanker conversions, but I'd like to know how the Hasegawa kit compares and contrasts.

That said, I'm still waiting for Trumpeter's Flanker.

OK - a few more.......

Airfix Su-27 on top of Hasegaw Su-27....

Su-33%20004.JPG

Hasegawa Su-27 left, Airfix right....

Su-33%20005.JPG

Hasegawa left, Airfix right....

Su-33%20006.JPG

Hasegawa Su-33 left - Airfix right - almost a perfect match. :thumbsup:

Su-33%20007.JPG

Airfix Su-27 left, Hasegawa Su-33 right - the Airfix cockpit isn't that small - at least IMHO.

Su-33%20008.JPG

The Airfix nose/radome is maybe a bit too slim - but Hasegawa's Su-27 is way too big.

I still think the Airfix Su-27 is the best of the bunch - and it's been around for 25+ years!!!

Ken

Thank you, great stuff.

I think i will simply sand the cockpit area, so that the sides won't be that thick. That should do make it better. And Airfix nacelles are very odd shaped, need to fix that as well.

And Airfix nacelles are very odd shaped, need to fix that as well.

I was noting that, as well. Not too bad, but a little pinched in at the back end. I suspect the result would require a larger nozzle. Is the Hasegawa exhaust from either their 27 or 33 kit accurate, diameter-wise?

:worship: Thank you Ken for this comparsion photos!! :worship:

One small request from me ----could you do a comparing photos between Hasegawa Su-27 and Hasegawa Su-33 and Airfix Su-27 verticals in same fashion as you did with those other parts? Thank you Mr.Ken in advance!!

Edited by su27rules

:worship: Thank you Ken for this comparsion photos!! :worship:

One small request from me ----could you do a comparing photos between Hasegawa Su-27 and Hasegawa Su-33 and Airfix Su-27 verticals in same fashion as you did with those other parts? Wich ones are a better shapes and dimensions and closest to the original dimensions??

Thank you Mr.Ken in advance!!