1/72 Airfix Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S.2B

This is my rendition of the Hawker Siddeley S.2B Buccaneer in "Operation Granby" RAF ARTF Desert Pink colors. The "Desert Pirates" were initially deployed in tandem with RAF Tornado GR.1 sorties for laser designation, the Bucc eventually went on autonomous hops seeking their own targets of opportunity later in the conflict. No losses were incurred for this aircraft during the Gulf War compared to it's Tornado GR.1 stable mate. It's eventual retirement from RAF active service after the Gulf War was finally realized, which was not so bad for an old cold war design.

The kit itself is a re-issued version of the old 1980s Airfix kit, plus additional sprues for ordnance and decals for Glenfiddich XW895 "Lynn". The Lynn had a shark mouth marking as well, which made this particular Bucc a bit more interesting.

Being an Airfix kit, this build needed a lot of TLC with the following list of work and modifications undertaken:

> Re-scribed panel lines;

> Added details for the engine intakes with styrene tubes and spinners for the turbines;

> Added details for the wheel wells and landing gears;

> Modified refueling probe;

> Modified nose cone;

> Added details for the canopy and cockpit;

> Added windscreen wiper and panel detail;

> Added blade antennas and pitot tubes;

> Added details on the wing mounted radar sensors;

> Added tail-guard and tail hook details;

> Added tail flare and wing chaff dispensers;

> Added wing tip aviation light details;

> Added a custom modified workable tail brake assembly;

> LGB ordnance from 1/72 Hasegawa Weapons set;

Paints used are Gunze Acrylics and weathering with Tamiya panel line accent colors and Mr Hobby pastels finished with Mr Hobby flat clear coats. The decals were original with a few DIYs for the bureau numbers.

The base artwork was done in Photoshop, printed and mounted on a picture frame.

Overall, the kit isn't for the faint of heart but still build-able to a certain tolerance. Other 1/72 scale Buccaneer kits from Matchbox are OOP, but the pricey CMR 1/72 resin kit can be had currently.

displaybase_buccaneer.jpg

Buccaneer_17.jpg

Buccaneer_10.jpg

Buccaneer_07.jpg

Buccaneer_09.jpg

Buccaneer_15.jpg

Buccaneer_32.jpg

Buccaneer_05.jpg

Buccaneer_30.jpg

Buccaneer_01.jpg

More WIP and finished photos here...

Edited by wingnut

That is incredible! I think the nose is the main thing that scares off a lot of modelers from building these. You've captured it perfectly. I've been looking at noses from other planes to "transplant", so to speak. How'd you do the nose modifications?

That is incredible! I think the nose is the main thing that scares off a lot of modelers from building these. You've captured it perfectly. I've been looking at noses from other planes to "transplant", so to speak. How'd you do the nose modifications?

the nose took a bit of work with styrene and putty...

BLADES.jpg

Great work. How did you manage hollowing everything out for the main gear and wheels?

much thanks again folks,

the landing gear was hollowed-out by ye old pin-vise drill (different size bits) and micro-chisel. the nose landing gear fork needed to be re-built with styrene, the wheel hollowed out, an axle provided from a styrene rod and voila!!!

Ahh, I think I see. You basically butchered the fork, reshaped the wheel and scratched a new fork?

I thought you somehow performed some voodoo magic and managed to hollow it with everything intact :P

hmmm, that would be for the nose wheel, the two other main landing gears were all joo-joo hand-carved sir...

Great Buccie here!

I build this kit last year for the DS Group Build here on ARC so I know the amount of work that requires...

Great job mate!

Pirata ,for the nose I bought on Ebay a resin correction but , unfortunately , don't remember the brand that produced also the correction for the tail plain and the slippery tanks.

:cheers: Gianni

Great Buccie here!

I build this kit last year for the DS Group Build here on ARC so I know the amount of work that requires...

Great job mate!

Pirata ,for the nose I bought on Ebay a resin correction but , unfortunately , don't remember the brand that produced also the correction for the tail plain and the slippery tanks.

:cheers: Gianni

gracie señores...

there are loads of aftermarket parts for both the Airfix 1/72 and 1/48 Buccaneer...

here's a link for a comparative look on 1/72 Buccaneer kits and optional aftermaket parts...

but prices can make modelers think twice on using these, this is why my build went the "old school" modifications way... :D