Does anyone have any good pictures of GDR MiG-23MLs or know where I can find some? Also, how does the GDR paint scheme colors compare to the USSR paint scheme? (I picked up AKAN's VVS four color paint set.) This is the particular MiG-23ML in question from Linden Hills awesome 1/32 "Brothers in Arms 2 - Cold War Finale MiG-23MLs":

LHD-32012-GDR-MiG-23ML-610-800.jpg

Edited by SoarinSukhoi

Hi,

Great pick when building the Mig-23. The DDR had various schemes.

Some shots:

mig23nva002web.jpg

ddr66bx9.jpg

mig23ml-329.jpg

If you need to know specific things, let me know. I have loads of info about DDR/GDR Mig-23 (also pictures, but I'm at work now).

Cheers, Evert

Hi,

Great pick when building the Mig-23. The DDR had various schemes.

Some shots:

If you need to know specific things, let me know. I have loads of info about DDR/GDR Mig-23 (also pictures, but I'm at work now).

Cheers, Evert

Do you happen to know the paint colors/FS numbers for the GDR? Do you have any pics of a GDR MiG-23 next to a USSR one in four color VVS camo?

Edited by SoarinSukhoi

So here's the comparison between GSSD (russians staioned in Germany) vs GDR/DDR air force Mig-23's.

606_MiG23ML_JG9_Peenemunde_GDR.jpg

vs

rozendaal_mig-23-alteslager.jpg

© Frank Rozendaal via Google

I'm unable to find the correct Mig-23 GDR colors.

Cheers, Evert

This site might help a bit:

http://www.jbg37.de/html/dreiseitenriss.html

The text reads (roughly translated):

The camouflage scheme of the Mig-23BN in JBG-37 (Fighter-Bomber Sqn. 37) was inspired by the usual scheme used by the countries attached to the Warsaw Pact.

There was however no uniform camouflage scheme for the aircraft in the squadron.

Every aircraft had a more-or-less "individual" camouflage pattern.

Reason was that periodic maintenance, depending on the situation, was done at a local level.

There were also differences in the manufacture of the BUNA paints that were used.

The maintenance text on the hatches was either left in Russian or, depending on the importance, applied in German.

During general overhaul in the Dresden plant fresh camouflage was applied.

Small changes were made. For example, from the end of the 80s onward the "double digit" number was no longer appled to the nose-gear door and the instructions for opening the canopy were changed.

Hope this helps.