Thinking of making a micro lathe

The more I think about making a micro lathe, the better it sounds to me.

This tiny lathe would be about the size of a red clay brick and would be powered by a 12VDC tape deck motor. I think it would be just the thing for turning air-cooled cylinders out of round rod stock.

AFAIK such micro lathes don't exist yet, and I don't have the spending cash to spring for a Prazi or a Sherline. But for the cost of an acorn chuck and a length of Acme threaded rod, I could build one for next to nothing.

Are you sure that motor will have enough torque as not to bog down once cutting?

Another idea would be to build a cradle for a variable speed power drill, as long as you could have adequate speed control.

Curt

The lathes do exist. They just cost lots of money.

Micromark used to sell a tiny wood lathe with the kind of motor power you're talking about, which looked interesting to me. It was marketed as more for children learning, but I think it could have been repurposed quite nicely for a micro hobbyists lathe.

I eventually bought a CO 'Baby' Lathe, which isn't quite the size of a red brick (maybe more like 4 together!).

As far as I can see your real issues would be making a smooth bed, compound and crosslide. If you can get those 'right'... I think you're well on your way.

Not to worry, I cut my teeth on stainless with one of those 3-in-1 lathe-mill-drill machines they sell. That stuff will put hair on your chest quick. Believe me, machining a bed from an aluminum block by using a dovetail milling cutter would be a piece of cake by comparison, and turning plastic round stock up to 1/2" would be even easier yet, and would require very little torque.

Unfortunately I'm going to be crazy busy from Thanksgiving through New Year's---property tax currently eats up 18% of my income---but with a bit of luck, I might start working on building a micro lathe by St. Pat's Day. :banana:

Edited by AppleCaseGuy