Irish Seafires?

So the Irish purchased a dozen Seafire MK III's and had them stripped of all Naval equipment? This basically reverts them to Spitfire MK Vc standard. The camouflage and markings of the Irish Seafires make them an attractive subject to re-create ...but where do I begin? (in 1/48)

What is the best kit to use as a starting point? I had my eye on a Special Hobby Seafire MK III but would this be a misuse of potential? What exactly should a De-Navalised Seafire look like? Can you still see any evidence of the removed features or what? As so often with the History of the Spitfire, little seems straightforward.

Apologies if this has been previously covered but I can find no mention of it.

Edited by digglyda

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd go with a Tamiya Spitfire V and then work out the mods required. I'm sure someone will come along and detail the differences. From what I understand, not having one myself, the Special Hobby kits can be a bear to build (although they can be made to come out nicely), but the Tamiya kit is an easy build and a very nice kit besides.

Just MHO… :sunrevolves:

25 01 2012

Most Irish modellers go with the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire mkVc/Seafire IIIc kit for this and then use the MaxDecals sheet for the markings.

The sheet can be seen here: http://maxdecals.com/webpages/max4821.html

He also produced a book on the Irish Air Corps http://maxdecals.com/cover.jpg which can be purchased from the same site. If you would like, I can email you the relevant sections on the Seafire. Your biggest issue will be the actual color which was not a standard green and general consensus is that they were initially delivered in overall British Standard Interior Green but then resprayed in a close approximation of that color (following maintenance) as the actual color was not avialable to them. Most guys just add a bit of white or grey or even yellow to interior green and that suffices.

Check out the IPMS Ireland forum http://www.ipmsireland.com/

If you look in the Gallery, Filip Servit has actually built this using the Tamiya kit and he has posted his build process here http://www.ipmsireland.com/models/kitbuilds/seafire.htm

Ask your questions there and the lads will be more than happy to help you out with your project.

Best of Luck,

Liam

Email me at yeehahireland@yahoo.co.uk if you wish

Edited by yeehah1

The Tamiya kit is a Vb; you need a C wing, with strengthened wheel wells, since the wingfold ran through that area.

The Seafires had the hooks, etc., removed, but the plates for the slinging points remained, as did the fuselage strengthening strips.

The exhausts were six-branch fishtails, the wheels were four-spoke, and the windshield had internal armour.

You'll need a Spitfire IX-type four-blade prop, and late-style elevators with the extended horn balance. Being Seafires, it's possible that the elevators remained metal-covered, as well.

There was a camera "porthole" just aft of the radio hatch, the gunbay covers had the single narrow bulge, and there were no outer cannon stubs, which were removed to allow extra strengthening in the wingfold area.

Wing walkway lines, and other stencils, were (supposed to be) red, according to Supermarine's drawing, but I can't verify that for sure.

Seats could have been metal, so cockpit interior colour, rather than the more usual red; being post-war, the seatbelts could have been "QS" type, with a parachute-style quick-release box, rather than Sutton, but, again, I can't be sure. QS belts were usually medium blue, rather than tan.

As far as we can tell, the exterior colour was Humbrol 78, the colour which everyone believes to be cockpit green, but might not have been. :touche: The Supermarine drawing just says "To sample supplied," which helps not one iota.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar