Request: F-16 Special schemes 1985 to 1995

Im hoping that the members of this forum can help me fill in the blanks in my collection here. I am endevouring to find photos of every single F-16 special scheme through the years. To save the list getting to long im going to break it up into at least two sections and i will also delete aircraft from the list as photos are found. On this note i hope that members will go through their slide collections and see if they have photos, alot of times these aircraft where at airshows so theres a chance someone photographed them. I estimate im about 80% of the way through the schemes already and im finding more every day.

So on with the list, ive split it into years and provided what detail i know:

81-1212 - Painted in a Desert Tan for a week.

1987:

J-208 - Laurel and Hardey tail decoration

FA-72 - 31 and 2 squadron markings

J-201 - General Dynamics fin markings - Was at Le Borget Airshow

J-135 - 35 years of 315 squadron markings

J-210 - 35 years of 315 squadron markings

J-211 - 35 years of 315 squadron markings

J-358 - 35 years of 315 squadron markings

J-135 - TAC sticker on the tail - Does anyone have a clear photo of the sticker?

J-209 - Fin art

J-141 - TAC sticker on the tail and playbird logo on the ventral fins

1990:

J-057 - Jonnie Walker Ventral Fin Art - Im looking for a clear photo of the fin, i have one photo but the artwork isnt to clear.

J-068 – 313 squadron sticker applied

J-058 – 1990 demo bird

J-060 – 1990 demo bird

FA-122 – Marked as FA-222 and used as a squadron flagship

1991:

J-232 – Tiger striped tail during a squadron exchange with 74 (RAF) squadron

J-014 – ‘Gerrit Bakers flying circus’ text on tail

1992:

88-0399 – Marked only with 399 on the tail for ILA that year - Was at the ILA show

J-194 – Canadian flag stickers and ‘T.D 313 Sqn bedankt Boomer’ text

J-638 – Tail logo for the first aircraft to receive the brake chute

1993:

91-0362- 50th anniversary of the Weapons school

1994:

84-0926 – ‘Rough rider country’

J-142 – Tail logo to commemorate the disbandment of 316 squadron

J-208 - Tail logo to commemorate the disbandment of 316 squadron

J-210 - Tail logo to commemorate the disbandment of 316 squadron

J-211 - Tail logo to commemorate the disbandment of 316 squadron

J-136 - Tail logo to commemorate the disbandment of 316 squadron, now altered to say ‘The End - After 41 years’

J-257 – Tail logo ‘Freische Draek’ applied after returning from the USA

J-268 - Tail logo ‘Freische Draek’ applied after returning from the USA

J-269 - Tail logo ‘Freische Draek’ applied after returning from the USA

89-2047 – Carried special mission markings - Not very much to go on i know

J-248 – Question mark logo on the tail

J-036 – Altered scheme with black tail logo and ‘Dolly Buster’ titles

Im not sure if any of these ones actualy existed, i have very low quality photos of FA-55, FA-88 and J360 painted up specialy but the consenses seems to be so far thoe where the only one:

FA-114 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-116 - Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-117 - Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-118 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-119 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-106 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-110 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-19 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-20 - Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-48 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-49 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-76 – Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

FA-96 - Marked with D-day stripes to commemorate D-day

1995:

J-020 - Heinekin sticker on the tail

J-215 - Rainbow scheme and KLM markings

84-1287 – 50 years of 158th FW tail fin

J-001 – Demo bird for the 1995 season

658 – Royal Norwegian – Special scheme for the 1995 Airshow season - Must have made some airshows

Thank you all in advance and i hope you can help me fill in the blanks.

Edited by OH_models

Hi,

Are you familiar with this book? It was published here in the Netherlands in 2004, and it has pics of most of the Dutch F-16's you mentioned here. (The ones with a J-xxx serial, RNLAF, not RNoAF, that's Norway).

Hope this helps.

There was 84-1286 known as "Candyass" or "Peppermint Patty" at Ramstein. I photographed the jet on April 10, 1986 but she had been flying in those markings for I think a month or two before I took the photo. A year or two later Ramstein re-equipped with later block F-16s, and another tail number was painted in these same markings. I think you had that tail number in your original list but just edited it out a few minutes ago for some reason.

A bit of trivia about this photo: the dead grass in the foreground was caused by a 600 gallon centerline tank that was accidentally jettisoned off the belly of an F-4E inside the TAB-V shelter that was just to the right side out of the view of the photo. It happened the previous summer. The weapons load team had "pencil whipped" the stray voltage check prior to loading the impulse cartridges on an F-4E that was going cross-country. When the jet was about to be launched out, as soon as the pilot selected "External Power" to power up the aircraft electrical system from the AM32A-60, the carts blew, the tank hit the ground, bounced once and then cracked open. My supervisor TSgt J.R. Gilliland was doing launch assist on that jet and saw the whole thing. He said as soon as he heard the "CRACK!! of the carts firing and saw the tank fall and then break open, he slapped the Dash 60's switches off and ran out of the TAB-V alongside the crew chief. J.R. said the aircrew very nearly beat him outside! Some of the fuel ran into the grass before the fire department responded and contained the rest.

84-1286April101986RamsteinABScottRWilson.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thank you for that. I had already got some photos of this one. Do you happen to know what the three badges on the fin are for or even have a closer photo of the fin? Also there seems to be some writing on the outside of the nose wheel door, do you remember what was there or even have a photo?

Thank you for that. I had already got some photos of this one. Do you happen to know what the three badges on the fin are for or even have a closer photo of the fin? Also there seems to be some writing on the outside of the nose wheel door, do you remember what was there or even have a photo?

Sorry, that's the only photo I ever took of it. I thought it looked ridiculous and almost didn't bother photographing it. We used to laugh at that jet and joke about it when we saw it flying. We imagined the pilots all groaned and cursed when they found out they were assigned to fly it.

I just piked up microscale decals #72-545 last tues, which has this plane on it.It says the badges from front to back are 526th tfs,527 tfs, & 525th tfs, same order on both sides.It shows the writing on the nose wheel door like this

OIC CAPT.DWYER LOAD CREW

NCOIC MSGT GILBERTSON

TSGT SHIRAR

A1C LARQUE

ACC SGT FITZGERALD SRA ERDMAN

ATS TSGT RACICOT

POL A1C PUCKETT

hope this helps, Stuart

I just piked up microscale decals #72-545 last tues, which has this plane on it.It says the badges from front to back are 526th tfs,527 tfs, & 525th tfs, same order on both sides.It shows the writing on the nose wheel door like this

OIC CAPT.DWYER...........LOAD CREW

NCOIC MSGT GILBERTSON

.........................TSGT SHIRAR

.........................A1C LARQUE

ACC SGT FITZGERALD.......SRA ERDMAN

ATS TSGT RACICOT

POL A1C PUCKETT

hope this helps, Stuart

This is the text on the front part of the door:

OIC CAPT.DWYER

NCOIC MSGT GILBERTSON

ACC SGT FITZGERALD

ATS TSGT RACICOT

POL A1C PUCKETT

This is the text on the rear portion.

LOAD CREW

TSGT SHIRAR

A1C LARQUE

SRA ERDMAN

hope this helps, Stuart

This is the text on the front part of the door:

OIC CAPT.DWYER

NCOIC MSGT GILBERTSON

ACC SGT FITZGERALD

ATS TSGT RACICOT

POL A1C PUCKETT

This is the text on the rear portion.

LOAD CREW

TSGT SHIRAR

A1C LARQUE

SRA ERDMAN

hope this helps, Stuart

Stewart,

Thank you. That does help. I can tick another scheme off my list.

Two more;

F-16AM_J-015_2009demo_240509.jpg

RNLAF J-015 Single ship demo, in the 2009 paintscheme. Only thing that changes is the display pilots name.

F-16AM_J-063_60years322sqn_3.jpg

RNLAF J-063 60 years 322 Sqn (Aircraft shot down a Serbian AF MiG-29 during the Kosovo crisis)

Edited by Lieuwe

I've seen some pics of this jet in a magazine recently, and it looks to be a recent scheme.

OK, that didn't take long at all. These are the pics I'd seen in the magazine. It looks like some guy took some photos and put them on a website here. It's a pretty cool site with a lot of gorgeous air-air pics. He must be an air force pilot. There's also a few photos of that Indiana bird.

Hope this helps.

Jake Melampy is active on this forum so I think you could even PM him here, the few times I have contacted him with questions he has always been very helpfull. I own two of his F-16 books and his phantom walkaround book and I can totally recommend them.