Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Hello everybody,

for the sake of completeness, I would like to briefly state my two questions and Wendy's answers. cool.gif

1st Question:

"What were your feelings when you had been selected as a crew member for the Return to Flight Mission STS-114, given the tragic Columbia disaster two years earlier?

She analogously replied that on the one hand she was fully aware of the importance of this test mission after the Columbia disaster, but on the other hand she felt very honored to have been selected for this very important mission.

My second question, which may have been a bit delicate for a NASA astronaut, caused a murmur in the room ... analintruder.gif

2nd Question:

"What do you know about Area 51, Complex S-4 and the UFO Crash in Roswell 1947, the year I was born in Germany?"

And that was her answer.

"Nothin’ (laughs). I’ve never been to Area 51, not a question I can really answer, although I do think that it’s interesting now that there’s been some attention devoted to UNEXPLAINED AERIAL PHENOMENA - UAP, that’s what it’s called by the government right now.
Have I, did I see anything during my Shuttle missions? NO. I know of people who, flying in high altitudes, saw some things they couldn’t explain, so, there is no harm in doing that research trying to figure out what it is, what people had seen there."

She at least tried to answer honestly, for which I thanked her.  bow.gif

After the round of questions one could have a photo taken with her in front of the Astrovan and receive an autograph with a dedication on her mission photo, which I was very happy about. up039822.gif

VxipTd.jpg  

9TG6VL.jpg

All in all, a successful conclusion after the interesting Explore Tour on my last day at the KSC, at the end of a fantastic and eventful Florida trip, which I will remember for a long time. up040577.gif  

Thanks Mike, :worship:

indeed, it was a fantastic vacation and the discovering of the KSC Visitor Complex step by step during my Mission STS-2023 was a complete success, more than I ever expected or dreamed of. default_newbanana.gif

lcdLbB.jpg

The support from my friends Mike Robel and his family, Pad 39B old hand James MacLaren and Richard Chamberlain was great, I couldn't have asked for better tour guides. up046068.gif

PPp1xc.jpg 

Mike Robel and his wife, visiting the Canaveral National Seashore with me.

NTQ9S1.jpg 

James MacLaren and Mike Robel, on the way back after the awesome Psyche Mission Launch. 

QvLOO5.jpg

Richard Chamberlain and me in the War Bird Museum in Titusville.

And here are a few snapshots from the KSC Visitor Complex.

MRDdIN.jpg

HQm4bB.jpg

kwWzUx.jpg

9fdU4Q.jpg

NXSMJm.jpg

tDSUvw.jpg

dbXOBf.jpg

The legendary Shuttle fleet. up046118.gif

27BbA2.jpg

An awesome view from the spectacular Helicopter Ride, :whistle:

d8GO4F.jpg

During the Explore Tour.

D41CHv.jpg

XkB0bt.jpg

Near Launch Pad 39-A,

G4YJAw.jpg

at the beginning of the Orbiter Access Arm (OAA),

Yldljk.jpg

with the White Room.

ktc9Qf.jpg

Last not least some new pictures for my Filder Space Center Gallery. up050224.gif

zHW0rK.jpg

Maybe I also should write a travel report. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Hello my friends,

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and are doing well. animierte-smilies-weihnachten-011.gif

I have just started my German travel report, so my construction report with the Payload Canister will continue soon too. up040577.gif

Best wishes and a Happy New Year. 00002527.gif

Edited by spaceman
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello friends,

and sorry guys, I'm still too busy with my travel report at the moment, which is quite time-consuming. cool.gif

To bridge the gap, I can offer the Raumcon link for anyone interested, but unfortunately only in German. rolleyes.gif 

But maybe you can have it translated or just look at the images and videos, that will be enough entertainment, I think, until I'll continue with the Payload Canisterhttp://www.raumfahrer.net/forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/up050224.gif

Trip to Florida and visit to the KSC 2023

Enjoy all and have a little bit fun. up040577.gif

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Hello everybody,

today is again a day of joyful remembrance of Challenger's maiden flight STS-6 41 years ago, cool.gif

up077353.jpg 
Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6) 

0FC9qp.jpg
L-R: Donald Peterson †, Paul Weitz †, Story Musgrave, Karol Bobko † 
Source: wikipedia.org

to which I have dedicated my long-term project, with which I'm going already into the 13th year, hard to believe, but true. up039822.gif 

BTW 13 is my lucky number, also because my son Andreas was born on a Friday, April 13, 1979. :whistle:

With this in mind, I hope to make a lot of progress with my project this year. up040577.gif

Edited by spaceman