"Blackie" and "Kirk"

There is a picture on p. 62 of Martin Bowman's "Mosquito Fighter/Fighter-Bomber Units of World War 2" (Osprey Combat Aircraft #9) which shows Squadron Leader David J. 'Blackie' Williams DFC and his navigator, Flight Officer C.J. ‘Kirk’ Kirkpatrick and their 406 (Lynx) Squadron Mosquito aptly named “Blackie†& “Kirkâ€Â.

I believe this aircraft may have been the one used during the night of 29/30th April 1944 when they destroyed two Do217K-2s of KG100 attempting to attack the battleship HMS Howe while docked in Devonport with Fritz-X guided bombs.

According to “Aces High†by Christopher Shores and Clive Williams their aircraft was a Mosquito NF Mk.XII was coded “HU-Oâ€Â. However, Andrew Thomas, in his excellent "Mosquito Aces of World War 2", maintains that this aircraft was coded "HU-D" (a Mk. III???) and was subsequently used by Wing Commander Robert C. Fumerton on the night of 14/15th May 1944 to score his 14th and final kill of the war.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the code letter issue or any leads regarding the serial of the Mosquito (possibly one of the following candidates: HK137; HK138; HK164 “Nâ€Â; HK179; HK180 “Aâ€Â; HK223; HK228; and HK231)?

There is a typo in the text in the book, it was not 406 "Lynx" Squadron. It was 406 "City of Saskatoon" Squadron.

I know this for certain, as I am a former Lynx from 416 Squadron.

I know Squadron codes are often mistaken by those who flew them in their memoirs. I am also a former memebr of 418 "City of Edmonton" Squadron and that squadron was the top night fighting Mosquito unit in WWII.

I did the research for the two Mossie 418 Nose Art decal sheets for Cutting Edge. I found the most accurate records were the armament discharge sheets. From these sheet I was able to match up the serials with the codes. But I was lucky I had access to the archives for the squadron.

Edited by Scooby

Hi

I researched this for a book i wrote about 12 years ago,(Harrowbeer Airfield in focus), the text extract from my research file is below :-

"The attacking enemy aircraft lost four of their numbers during the raid, one FW-190 of 3/ Schnellkampfgeschwader 10, one JU-88 of 5/ Kampfgeschwader 6, one DO-217K-3, 6N+AD, Wn 4701, of Stab III / Kampfgeschwader 100 was shot down into Whitsand Bay, and DO-217 K-3, 6N+IT, Wn4716, also of Kampfgeschwader 100, crashed near Kingsbridge, both DO-217's were shot down by a 406 Squadron Mosquito, HU-O. The attacking DO-217 K's each carried a Fritz X guided missile, as opposed to bombs normally carried ,Of interest this was the only time that guided missiles have been launched at a target in Great Britain."

I have a photo of blackie & kirk signing a wall and I think one od them by a mossie nose, unfortunately I never was able to find out the serial of the mosquito.

I would imagine HU- D was a typo.

Cheers

Jerry

Edited by jezbrew
  • 1 month later...

First off, a big thanks to “Scooby†and “jezbrew†for both for your responses.

As for the name of the squadron, 406 was known as “Lynx†squadron on its formation, but was subsequently renamed in 1947 as “City of Saskatoon†squadron. Please refer to the link below.

http://www.rcaf-ARC.forces.gc.ca/12w-12e/sqns-escs/page-eng.asp?id=463

I will try to locate the “armament discharge sheets†for 406 squadron. I’ve been looking at the squadron OR books without luck and I did not even consider looking at the maintenance records.

First off, a big thanks to “Scooby†and “jezbrew†for both for your responses.

As for the name of the squadron, 406 was known as “Lynx†squadron on its formation, but was subsequently renamed in 1947 as “City of Saskatoon†squadron. Please refer to the link below.

http://www.rcaf-ARC.forces.gc.ca/12w-12e/sqns-escs/page-eng.asp?id=463

I will try to locate the “armament discharge sheets†for 406 squadron. I’ve been looking at the squadron OR books without luck and I did not even consider looking at the maintenance records.

Wow, you learn a new thing everyday. Actually you don't, I did know 416 was "City of Oshsawa Squadron" on formation. I have read the Squadron history. I should have known we were not named the Lynx Squadron. We un-officially call ourselves that. I think it is ironic both Squadrons had put a pouncing Lynx on their Squadron crest. I didn't know another Squadron in Canada had that crest.