Well I have been wanting to make a What-if Night Fighter P-51 Mustang. I scored this old Revell "Smithsonian" P-51D, and I just dig these old kits. I am going to fix up the cockpit a bit by scratch building a proper "D" model seat and armor, and an internal fuel tank and radio/battery rack. I am also going to correct the belly scoop exhaust door, and radiator.

Here is a preliminary sketch of the all flat black paint scheme with D-Day Stripes, and the red nose of the 334th.

IMAG1458.jpg

And the kit...

IMAG1439.jpg

I have actually accomplished a bit on this over the past couple of days, here are a few pics of the progress.

Left is a sample of the seat that comes with the kit, and on the right is my modified seat and armor.

IMAG1445.jpg

I also have opened up the gun ejector ports and sanded the appropriate areas on the wings smooth.

IMAG1452.jpg

IMAG1449.jpg

And what I have accomplished tonight, painted up the floor and seat, and the engine.

IMAG1457.jpg

I've never seen someone build so many cool Mustangs so fast!

Nice start.

I still have one of these in the stash.

The main problem with it is that the wing is that of a P-51B.

For this reason whenever I get to it I'll build 43-12102, the P-51B modified as the bubbletop prototype.