Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted here, let's just say that life got in the way. :(/>

I'd like to enter the GB with the 1/3 M16A1 model from Trumpeter, to represent the weapon I first used when I was drafted into the army.

The Singapore Army is largely made up of conscripts and reservists, with a relatively small number of regular personnel. All Singaporean males and second-generation Permanent Residents are conscripted into the army when they're around 18 to 20 years old, and they're made to serve a 2-year full-time training cycle where they learn the basic military skills and their own occupation skills after being assigned to a unit. After 2 years, the unit and its members become a reservist unit, with up to 40 days of training a year for the next 10 years. As for me, my reservist unit and I have finished our 7th reservist year, with 3 more to go.

I got enlisted around 10 years ago when I was 19, and I was handed the M16 as my main weapon for the 3-month recruit training. This was the S1 model, which was a licensed copy of the M16A1. Having never handled a real-life weapon before, I had an amazing experience with it.

After recruit training, I was posted to my unit and continued using the M16 for a while, until we switched over to the SAR-21 (below).

Sar-21_zpsd2a0580e.jpg

Below is the kit I'll be using. Since the M16S1 is basically a M16A1, I went for this model. The differences are that we used the curved magazine instead of the one in the kit and although my memory is a bit fuzzy, I believe that the flash suppressor was the one that looked like a birdcage. That particular part is included as an option in this kit, so no worries there.

P10003611024x571_zps98b50c5b.jpg

Inside the box are 10 small sprues molded in black plastic. Also included but not shown here is a display stand. It's a simple model that looks to be a very fast build for the average modeller, but I'm a slowpoke when it comes to building models so this might take longer than expected.

P10003621024x576_zps2339ba43.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for looking and Happy New Year.

My plan is to build and paint the gun in sub-assemblies before putting it all together at the end. I started off with the stock first, painting the whole thing gloss black and the strap ring with Gunze Steel. For the rear plate, I used Tamiya's Rubber Black, and Steel again for the screws.

P10003701024x576_zps3f6ddc3d.jpg

P10003711024x576_zps15716f96.jpg

Completed stock section.

P10003731024x576_zps0cabc735.jpg

Next is the handguard area, with the seams filled and smoothed out. Painted it and the slip ring in Gloss Black too, with the barrel in Tamiya's Gun Metal.

P10003651024x575_zps47b4023c.jpg

P10003751024x576_zps44b5ac5b.jpg

The completed handguard and rifle stock.

P10003761024x576_zpsd3db08cc.jpg

Finally, the receiver section that is split into its upper and lower parts. A hole was drilled out so that the forward assist assembly can be installed later.

P10003741024x576_zps9e58864d.jpg

Finished receiver group. While there were seams to be filled along the join lines, the rest of the parts fit very well. In fact, the charging handle, selector lever, front and rear pins, and dust cover were all installed without using glue at all.

P10003771024x576_zps0d3f1e1f.jpg

Next is the handguard area, with the seams filled and smoothed out. Painted it and the slip ring in Gloss Black too, with the barrel in Tamiya's Gun Metal.

P10003651024x575_zps47b4023c.jpg

P10003751024x576_zps44b5ac5b.jpg

The completed handguard and rifle stock.

One oops there, the handguards are a 2 peice assembly and have a noticeable seam on top and bottom.

m16a1handguards.jpg

Some other tips, the Magazine catch, bolt release lever and trigger are a cast greyish metal, the mag release button is more closely black, I didn't notice a gas tube, but you can bore out the hand-guard holes a bit and add a silver painted rod under them/on top of the barrel. Blacken out your barrel a bit as they are not steel color, it's a phospahate finish kinda like Parkerizing.

But I'm sure you know all that. :rolleyes:

Curt

Parts breakdown

m16a1kit.jpg