Display base research ? and how to ?

I'm in the planning phases of an upcoming build that I will be starting later in the year. It's a P-38J, "Jandina IV", BuNo 43-28832 flown by Jay T. Robbins. Mr. Robbins flew this P-38 from June of '44 till August of '44 with the 8th fighter group, 80th fighter squadron. I was able to find that the 8th FG was based at Owi Airfield during that time frame. Owi airfield is located on Pulau Owi Island in the Schouten Islands in Indonesia. The airfield was natural coral. I'm planning a diorama of the P-38 parked in it's hardstand. My questions are:

1) Was everything packed coral or did they only use that for the runway and taxiway?

2) Did they use PSP in the hardstands?

3) How would you replicate the packed coral in a diorama?

Also, any other information regarding the Owi airfield would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Falcon20driver,

I can't help you but maybe direct you to a gentleman who is a member on here and who maybe able to assist you with your diorama question.

He is Called :-

John Reid. If you search under diorama build by John you will know why I direct you to him.

Of course there is also Fred SHAMMAS(F.SHAMMAS)

Good luck with your build. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

I found some great ideas looking around my LHS' train department, all the stuff they have for layouts. In particular ballast, talus, etc. really can help if you don't want to or can't (like me) get down on all fours to hunt for real rocks around the house and garden. I would also look what the armor guys use a lot of- pigments, for the most refined dust recreation. Cheers and good luck.

• 2 weeks later...