Anyone ever stationed at Ellsworth AFB?

Hitch,

Can't second "luck and timing" enough....looking at my peers and others it's amazing the influence those two things have on anyone's career. I myself got hosed by "bad timing" which inserted a glass ceiling over me (got op-held in a tour to support OIF I (keep the fully qualified guy...) which combined with a re-jigger of screen groups caused me to be a year late for a screen board). I remember first day of Aviation Preflight Initiation where a crusty old O-5 told us about luck and timing, and how the hot-ticket when he winged was Vigilantes which he got....only to see his community die and spend the rest of his time chasing the experience levels of his peers who had stared out in a community that survived.

Which means...don't fret over stuff. Be ready to jump on opportunities as they arise (opportunity + preparation = luck) but realize there is a lot out of your control.

She will be tracking maintenance on B1 bombers. She joined for security which was her dream and they took that away and gave her this job instead. And now she gets this base that is a (2.5 out of 10) I just wanted her to be happy with this very important decision that she made, and one that I am so proud of her for making. But it seems like everything is going wrong for her. :(/> I just dont want her to look on these years and say 'oh my God' I have really made the worst decision in my life. I know that regret can really drag down your life. I do not want her to live thinking she messed up.

Chris

In that case, I'd say there is a good chance she will go TDY with the Bones within her first year or two; probably someplace sandy & hot!

I've got a friend who flew Eagles at Mountain Home AFB, ID, another fairly isolated base. His wife cried when they got there as she looked around and it hit her how different southwest Idaho is from Jacksonville, FL. Two years later, she cried when they moved away because she didn't want to leave Mountain Home.

Your daughter will make lots of great friends at Ellsworth. Down the road she may get the opportunity to cross train to Security Forces, who knows?

Jonah

Not in the military so can't speak about life on the base but go to the area every year or so for the Black Hills Corvette Classic and love the area. Yes it has winter which can be cold, certainly compared to Georgia but weather in spring through early fall is beautiful. The Black Hills nearby are a great place with beautiful natural wonders and lots to see and do. Rapid City is a very nice place and half a days drive down the interstate is the much larger center of Sioux Falls. Rapid City even has a nice hobby shop called Who's, if you get out to visit her, not to mention the on base museum. If she's into bikes a half hour away is Sturgis, center of what is probably the biggest bike rally in America. I've enjoyed every trip that I've made to the Black Hills and they go back over twenty years now. Unfortunitly she is headed there at the worst time of year but tell her not to condemn the place based on first impressions because it is a beautiful part of America and the people are super friendly as are almost all westerners.

Hi Chris,

I've been stationed at Ellsworth for almost 17 years as a Crew Chief, but I grew up in SC. My wife and I love it here because of the small town atmosphere, the freedom, and the activites for our 3 kids. The distance can be a problem though. My parents still live in SC, so visiting them with our kids can be expensive.

The weather can be very crazy, we'll have 65 degrees and sunny one day, then 25 degrees and windy the next. We don't get snow dumped on us like some other places, mainly just high winds. Small amounts of snow can turn into blizzards here. However, coming from the south myself, you do get used to it.

Some others have already mentioned the Black Hills. They are beautiful and offer just about anything you can think of if she's the outdoors type. This is a big tourist area because of the history, so there are some attractions and fun things to do, however, most of them close after labor day.

Rapid City works for us, but for others it doesn't. If she's not afraid to go outside and explore, she'll be fine.

Shaun

I was never stationed at Ellsworth but I had some friends who were and they all liked it there. As everyone else has said, the attitude that you have when you go there is what will make or break the assignment. What's the old saying "Whether you say I can or I can't is what will happen". When I was stationed in Korea my roommate did not want to come to Korea. He made up his mind before getting there that he was going to hate being stationed in Korea. For the year he was there he ate at the chow hall, worked, and watched a little 13 inch TV in the room. Every Wednesday he walked over to check his mail and buy 2 cases of soda. That is all he did for a year, and guess what, he hated Korea. I bet that to this day whenever someone asks him about Korea he tells them how bad it sucked even though he knows nothing about Korea. I had a blast in Korea.

For me, my worst assignment was Dover Delaware. Not because it was Delaware, but because we worked so many hours. I could not wait to leave the place and talked bad about it whenever I had the chance. That was in the early 90's and when I look back on the times I spent there now, I would love to be able to back there for a day. I am still in contact with friends that I made there and have a million great memories/stories from the place that seemed so terrible at the time.

My son graduates from AF Basic Training this week. He just found out today that his tech school is right there at Lackland. He wasn't happy about that but I told him the same thing. It is what you make of it, so why not make it fun.

Hi Chris,

I've been stationed at Ellsworth for almost 17 years as a Crew Chief, but I grew up in SC. My wife and I love it here because of the small town atmosphere, the freedom, and the activites for our 3 kids. The distance can be a problem though. My parents still live in SC, so visiting them with our kids can be expensive.

The weather can be very crazy, we'll have 65 degrees and sunny one day, then 25 degrees and windy the next. We don't get snow dumped on us like some other places, mainly just high winds. Small amounts of snow can turn into blizzards here. However, coming from the south myself, you do get used to it.

Some others have already mentioned the Black Hills. They are beautiful and offer just about anything you can think of if she's the outdoors type. This is a big tourist area because of the history, so there are some attractions and fun things to do, however, most of them close after labor day.

Rapid City works for us, but for others it doesn't. If she's not afraid to go outside and explore, she'll be fine.

Shaun

Many thanks Shaun for the first hand information!

My son graduates from AF Basic Training this week. He just found out today that his tech school is right there at Lackland. He wasn't happy about that but I told him the same thing. It is what you make of it, so why not make it fun.

Els, I can imagine how your son feels. Went we went out to Lackland in Oct for graduation out daughter couldnt wait to get away from Lackland. From what she says there were basically no fun memories there :) I imagine your son feels the same way and is not looking forward to an extended stay there!!