Need paint match help on Citgo race cars

Over my Thanksgiving holiday, I plan on doing some building, but need some help figuring out what paints to use.

I'm going to be working on the 5 Citgo "Decades" cars that Elliott Sadler drove during the 2000 season to commemorate 50 years of the Wood Brothers.

50's - Read that Italian Red is a good match for this color

1011.jpg

21-50s-citgo.jpg

60's - Rangoon red for this, but I dont know what this would match.

21-60s-citgo.jpg

70's Testors 1104 Dark Gloss red

21lowes-pearson.jpg

21-70s-citgo.jpg

80's - Needing to find a match for the blue

21superguard.jpg

21-80s-citgo.jpg

90's - Chevy Engine Red has been suggested for this, but the Slixx sheet suggests Chrysler Engine Red. From the few pictures I've been able to find, it looks more red, but I've read that this color is more of an orange/red which the Chevy Engine Red is close to.

21atlanta-march.jpg

21-90s-citgo.jpg

I don't know for certain and can't give you color matches, but to my eyes, it looks like the reds are all based on the Citgo Triangle logo colors. the bottom car looks like the lightest red of the triangle. The top one looks like the mid tone red of it and the 70's looks like the darkest red. I'd say use the decals and match those as close as possible. Same with the blue, it looks like that same blue that "CITGO" is written in on the logo. which makes sense because most companies are very specific about what colors can be used on any advertising. And a Nascar is definitely advertising. I know that's not much help but at least with a decal you have something in hand to match.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually hadnt thought of that.

I went to my LHS at lunch today and picked up most of the paints I needed for this project and another one. I ended up going w/ the Testors square bottle gloss dark blue for the 80's car, and it actually appears to match the Citgo blue color pretty closely.