Hungarian MiG-15 Camouflage Colors

I stand to be corrected, but I don't think the HuAF ever flew MiG-15s in active service in camouflage. By the time they were camouflaged they were being used as airfield decoys and were long out of frontline service.

According to the Hungarian Aero História book on the MiG-15, from 1972 those MiG-15bis used in the recce role were painted in camouflage colours. Initially they were green & light brown over light blue, but shortly thereafter dark brown was added too. At first there was no standardisation of the camouflage, but those painted at Kecskemét were a "more or less" standardised scheme, whilst those painted at the Pest Region Machine Works were painted according to standard drawings, and those painted at the Pest works used rounded numerals.

I suppose that's not particularly useful except to say that some MiG-15bis *did* receive camo whilst in service, and per the same book I can give you the relevant bort numbers: 059, 060, 061, 071, 115, 338, 677, 684, 707, 708, 711, 724, 806, 818, so perhaps that might be of some little use.

Hello,

While Gábor is having some major problems with his PC unfortunately, I am trying to help you. One of our very skilled Hungarian modeling friend (Péter Kormos) is building a MiG-15 bis. He is in the finishing zone now.

Based on his findings the upper colours are Gunze H302 Green and Gunze H406 Chocolate brown. The underside is painted Gunze RLM65 light blue. This is very close to the colours we can analyse from the photos, obviously the colours were changing quickly by the weather and dust.

If you want to please check this link

http://www.makett.org/smf/index.php/topic,5143.0.html

Although this is all in Hungarian but there are some good photo materials and you can also find some tricks and hints how to build this machine to a nice representation of the real.

I hope this helps...

Cheers,

Pál

Other painting info in the thread Pál linked to is that the cockpit (including the inside frame of the canopy) was medium grey, only the IP, radio, some boxes and the oxygen tank at the back left are black, and that the wheel hubs are dark green like on MiG-21s.

Pál: what I didn't see mentioned in the thread is any mention of what the sand/light brown colour should be. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks very much, Litvyak and Pal. That build link is quite useful, despite Googles "translation" of the Hungarian !! <_</>

Another long Hungarian link with much useful info and links to photos:

My link

also a nice build of the 1:48 Trumpy:

My link

My link

My link

A Google search on Magyar MiG-15 leads to other helpful links.

Is there a better online translator of Hungarian to English than Google ?

Edited by falcon04

Hello,

There is another link here: http://www.makett.org/smf/index.php/topic,6002.0.html

This is the 1:72 Eduard build (paralel a NMF and a camouflaged one). I am not sure about the match of the third (sand or yellow) upper colour, but will check.

If you have troubles with the translation, please let me know which particular part you are interested in and will help you.

Cheers,

Pál

Köszi a linket, Pál, but... is there something I'm doing wrong? I see no pics in the thread, and yet to judge from the various commentaries it seems there were some posted?