I got a wood F16 made by kittyhawk models in the Philippines. The plane was broken with a chunk missing from the nose, I have spliced a mahogany piece in and I need to know what to use for the front tube (this none aviator has no idea what it is) . The scale is 1/45th

greg

Just for clarification, you don't know what the front tube is, or you don't know what it's made of...for part one it's a pitot tube,and provides data to the air speed indicator, and part two as for exactly what it's made from well a SWAG would be metal alloys capable of withstanding very high temps as high performance aircraft going as fast as they do would generate a lot of heat in or on the pitot, and under certain conditions pitot tubes need to be heated, a simple metal like aluminum probably couldn't stand up to that kind of a beating and would more than likely warp; a warped pitot tube is conducive with safe flight/aircraft operation.

1/45th is an odd scale, some AM folks do make metal pitot tubes for 1/48th scale Vipers..you might could get one of those and add it on...and have it look close enough..that or scratch build one.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Thanks for the info. I thought it may be a pitot tube so it is hollow? The tube was lost in the damage so I'm thinking some type of hypo needle. Any idea what diameter (in 1:1 scale), and I have seen a tapered version and a segmented version

greg