EF-111A Raven questions

G'day people,

I want to build a Raven (Spark Vark) and while looking through the on-line pics I have seen a few different equipment configurations. The areas that I need information concern the CMDS installation at the rear of the jet on either side of the engine exhausts, the tail and the area in front of the windscreen. 

My subject jet is 66-0044 (Straight Flush') based at Cannon AFB  and my questions are,

1. Did this jet have the GPS dome installed in front of the windscreen when it carried the nose art?

The GPS dome seems to have been a later addition.

2. What type of CMDS config was installed. I believe the initial fit was ALE-28 but later pics show Ravens were upgraded with the ALE-40 system which had larger fairings and four dispenseres per side for a total of eight

3. Did the rear of the ECM 'football' have the IR sensor installed or was this plated over?  The system was removed toward the end of the Raven's service. 

and finally some generic questions.

Most F-111s have antenna panels embedded within the Forward Equipment Bay (FEB) doors 1101/1102/1201 and 1202 however it seems from the pics that  on Ravens the 'I' shaped antenna on the rear FEBs (1102/1202) was deleted and that some of the ECM panels on the fwd FEBs were also deleted?

It is hard to tell as the light camouflage colour makes it hard to see the outlines of the dielectric panels,

cheers,

Pappy

I assume that the Compass Sail and Strike Camera fairing swere also removed/not installed?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121

Hi Pappy,

I'm NOT a Spark Vark expert, but I can answer some of your questions:

1) By the time 66-0044 had the Straight Flush artwork applied, it had received the AMP modifications and did have the GPS antenna installed. In late 1992 it didn't, butBy April 1994 it did. The pic I have of the artwork was taken in 1995.

2) I think the AN/ALE-40 was part of the AMP upgrade, but I'm not positive about that.

3) I looked through my pics and the prototype had the CMRS installed, but I couldn't find any pics of operational jets with it. I didn't do a thorough search, but certainly by 1984, they'd been removed, which is about the time they were removed in the F-111s as well (it was probably earlier than that).

Can't help you on the door antennas--basically none of the antenna patterns seen mostly on F-111As aren't visible on EF-111As.

No Compass Sail or strike camera on EF-111As.

G'day Jim,

Great work!

Looking at available pics of Desert Storm jets show them to have the ALE-40 installation. and no CMRS.  I cannot see any GPS antennas, but those pics predate '94 (taken in '91) so that would make sense. The CMRS blanking plate is an easy mod, it should take me all of a minute to execute

My biggest headache will be the ECS intakes forward of  stabs. BAM made a set (sized fir the HB kit) but unfortunately Arnaud has suspended ops indefinitely. The Academy fairings are just shapes and lack detail, but that is my problem.

Any chance you could send me a pic of the artwork as I could not find it.

Thank you very muh for the help,

cheers,

Pappy