I'll be watching for the response on this one.  I know that there is an aftermarket set for the B model but I held off buying them wondering if they were different.  There may be something on it in 'Tailhook Topics' but I haven't researched it yet.  I have all of the other sets to convert the Academy kit to a B model.

Edit:  I just looked it up in Tailhook Topics' and apparently there is a difference.  In one of the photos it states: (Note also that 972 is shod with the Air Force tires.).

Edited by fasteagle12
49 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

Edit:  I just looked it up in Tailhook Topics' and apparently there is a difference.  In one of the photos it states: (Note also that 972 is shod with the Air Force tires.).

Ah, but which AF tires?  A/C/D, or F/FB, assuming there's a difference?

15 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Ah, but which AF tires?  A/C/D, or F/FB, assuming there's a difference?

I know what assuming will do for ya, but I would assume that at the time of the B model, only the A existed.  As far as the difference between all of the AF versions, I'm clueless.

8 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Well, my real interest is what they would've had if they'd gone into production and out to the carrier air wings.

Reskit and Armory Models each have a set of wheels for the 'A,B,C,D' models.  Either they assumed that that the same wheels were being used on all of those models or did a lot more research that me.  Since the B never made it to production, one could only guess which wheels they would use.

4 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-f-111b-production-main-landing-gear.html

The Air Force main landing gear tires were "fat" for unpaved-field operations; the As were 47" x 18". The Navy tires were narrow high-pressure, 42" x 13". Note that the first three F-111Bs had Air Force landing gear.

So, basically when the aforementioned ResKit aftermarket wheels say they're for the "A,B, C & D" versions, they're referring to the AF ones used just at the beginning, yes?

4 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

For the B yes. More here from my F-111 subject-matter expert: http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/f111indetailjr_4.htm

I've been using your book and your extras Tommy, I was just tricked when I saw the wheels for sale...I shoulda known better that I hadn't found a solution for the wheels for a production type....