Help! Glosscote problem

After doing some masking over enamel paint that had been overcoated with glosscote, and peeling off the tape (the 3M blue tape), I discovered that the tape had peeled off the glosscote. I'm thinking this may have happened because the underlying paint was sanded smooth (the finish is going to be a smooth gloss since it's a blue angels plane), and the glosscote could not bite into the paint very well. Does anyone else have any ideas about why this happened or how to fix it? I plan on smoothing out the areas where the glosscote peeled with polishing compound and respraying. The glosscote has had several weeks to dry and the tape was only on for a couple of hours. Thanks for the help!

That's strange.......I'm assuming you used Testor's Glosscote?

My suggestion for next time - use Future for your gloss coat. Once dry, it's tough as nails, and I can pretty much guarantee you that 3M blue tape will not lift it. I've never used enamel gloss coats, but I suspect that maybe there was some humidity in the air when you sprayed the Glosscote, which may have caused adhesion problems. Also, if I were going to use enamel gloss coats, I'd thin them with lacquer thinner to give them some extra 'bite'.

Thanks for the help, Steve! Believe it or not, I noticed that on the roll of tape I was using, it said "not for use on lacquers". Ooops. ;) I was suprised by this, since the tape is very low tack. As for they type of gloss I'm using, it's Model Master lacquer gloss clear coat which, I think, is the same as Testors glosscote. I usually do use future for glossing when the final finish will be flat, but I often have problems getting the future to lay down in a very smooth coat. I decided to go with the lacquer gloss this time, since I can get a smooth coat, and it seems to give the paint a deeper gloss than future. Also, I thinned the gloss with lacquer thinner, but the problem may have been humidity. Unfortunately, since I live in South Carolina, it's hard to get a good, dry day to paint at this time of year. I did try rubbing the affected areas with automotive rubbing compound, which helped smooth the areas down so I can respray the gloss. Appreciate the help!