Lots of different methods really. On the extreme end, some buy aftermarket decals of control dials, drill out the dials on the plastic control panel, put the decal behind it and add a drop of clearcoat to the holes.

Me, I'm not that patient. I just paint the control panel its overall color then lightly run a white coloring pencil over it to bring out the highlights.

I do the same with a silver pencil when I want to add weathering and paint chipping.

Edited by Panda Phil

As Panda said, one way is to drill out the dials and insert individual decals. Some of the newer kits use decals made to go over the relief built into the plastic instrument panels (I recently did this with Hasegawa's 1/48 Zero 22 and it looks real good) and can be a source of instruments, as well as a dedicated decal sheet or even an older kit with decals made to go on a very simple flat piece to represent the instrument panels/consoles.

Another way, and this probably depends upon availability for what kit/aircraft you're building, is to use some of the newer aftermarket sets that have the instruments on a sheet of clear acetate that is glued behind a relief-etched panel . . . many of the latest PE sets, like from Eduard, use this technique and the effect is pretty impressive. This of course required the purchase of aftermarket products, which may not be what you want or need (Such as to qualify in an OOB catagory for a contest).