Any idea how to make this into a decent kit to represent a Phil AF F-5? Always wanted to build one and I'm considering it for a summer project. I don't have a kit right now, but I understand that the cockpit and gear wells are pretty much typical Testors/Hawk. I've heard a suggestion of kitbashing it with the Monogram F-5E, but I've also heard that is not a good idea. Thoughts?

Keith,

I still swear by the Testors/Hawk kit as a shapewise very accurate, inexpensive and nice basis for a good F-5A. The Monogram F-5E cockpit fits with some modifications, but it will take some work. The Black Box F-5E cockpit is a surprisingly good fit though, you can see photos of my work in the link Mike posted above.

I am about to start a second one (not as detailed as the first one-no rescribing, no tip tanks etc.) which will be a modernized F-5/2000 LIFT trainer for the Turkish AF. I am using the Monogram F-5E cockpit base. Note that the Monogram F-5E cockpit has the seat built-in, and the seat in that case is the later improved Northrop seat, which will be inaccurate for most F-5A's. In my case I have cut the seat off, because the modernized Turkish F-5A use the Martin-Baker Mk.16L seat anyway. (Lighter version of the JSF seat).

Thanks Kursad. I've always heard that the Testors F-5A was a good basis too and it's good to know that the Monogram cockpit would work reasonably. I think I'll start with that. Not sure what I plan to do with the tip tanks yet, as I usually don't go aftermarket and Phil AF jets are usually seen with them.

• 2 weeks later...