Hi friends,

I had an article, I think from an FSM magazine that gave you suggested percentages of white to add in all three scales in order to maximise scale effect. I lost this article :thumbsup:. Can anyone help me out here or direct me to some article please?

Regards

Pierre

I don't have the article you're looking for, but try doing an "All Forums" search and you'll come up with a bunch of stuff right here on ARC. I saw several links while trying to spot the FSM article you mention.. maybe this one is helpful.

Color of Color

Jack

There are no way too be absolutely correct here, distansce, direct sunligt, the paint, the subject etc. But longer viewing distance (smaller model) the lager the percentage og white. That means as "rule" 20-30% white in 1/72 to 5- 10 in 1/32.

I think "scale colour" are one of the more heated topics in the modelling world. For sure one of the longest running.

But i think most are confused and slightly misguided about it.

First of all "scale colour" are not the same as "weathering". Its not the same as oilspills, different FS batches, footmarks, the moisture in the jungel, the blazing sun in the desert, angel of he sun etc. In theory its a trick to view the model as something lager and slightly untoyish. Its and optical illusion to blend accurancy, detail and effect of scale. To do that you must slightly alter the shine and brightness of your model. A very gloss model must be toned down to a less shiny hue, a strong and dark colour must be toned and broken down a bit. A 1/44 F-16 can't be as a superdetailed as one in 1/32. It would look most unreal. To be accurate you must be inaccurate. Its that simpel!

The artistic element come to play in the fusion of weathering and "scale colour". There are almost infinte opitions, most are gradual subtle. Of cource weathering is scale effect too. We simple weather too make it more "real", more untoyish. But also to make it more like a scalemodel. I think the impression of the he scalamodel as real are almost as strong the impression of the real thing as a scalemodel. Its about mindset. That make a simpel discussion almost like a train with no breaks. Either the fuel are depleted or it run out of tracks.