Floquil Reefer White Yellowing?

I have a bottle of Floquil Reefer White and I agree it is a great enamel white paint. I used it the other day and a few quick coats put a nice smooth white finish on the intake trunk of my A-7E. Looks great, and is nice and thin.

I know there is talk of enamel paint ‘yellowing’ over time and this was due to the type of pigments in the white enamel paint.

My question is, will Floquil Reefer White yellow at all over time? I have read the Tools and Tips section on adding a few drops of blue paint to the white to prevent any yellowing. Should I add a few drops of a dark blue to the Reefer White (I was thinking of using B&O blue from Floquil I have (I used to build railroad cars) for the blue)? Is this even needed or will the Reefer White stay white over time?

I appreciate all of your replies. Just let me know what you guys do. Do you leave the Reefer White alone or generally add any blue to it? Has anyone had any problems with this white turning yellow when used straight from the bottle? :cheers:

Just for reference, I was planning on using a Tamiya spray can of Matt White for a primer, and then one or two smooth coats of RW. Then I was going to use Future and then flat coat with Poly Scale Clear Flat.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dave

Well, that's good to know. I assume you didn't add any blue to the white. I'll make sure I use an acrylic clear and flat coat too.

So, does the yellowing have to do with certain brands of white enamel, or just enamel in general? What would make Floquil Reefer White stay white as compared to awful Model Master flat white? Would a lacquer based clear coat over enamel white intensify/accelerate the yellowing effect? Is this why it’s better to use an acrylic based clear coat? Just trying to figure how all this works.

Anybody else have any comments or suggestions? Thanks for being so helpful!

I THINK Reefer White (from the Model Railroad Line, not the acrylic) is more of a lacquer than an enamel. That may have something to do with it's longevity. I usually thin it with xylene rather than lacquer thinner but the last bottle I bought was so thin already I just shot it straight from the bottle. And no, I haven't added blue to it in the past though I hear that helps a lot with other types of white paint.

Thanks for all of the info and help. You guys have been great. I’ll just hit the whole plane with Floquil Reefer White in a few thin coats. I’ll use it as a primer and the final coat. Thanks again :)