NEED HELP ON SPITFIRE (CED) PYN DECALS

Hello every one.

I have a set of PYN-UP Cutting Edeg Decals, Set 48008 for the Spitfire. In the set

it shows a Mk. IXc called TOLLY HELLO. Ok I under stand that it has a extra fuel tank and no yellow conbat ID bands. But what is the deal with the roundels on the wings and fuseslage? They are half blue and black and the inside red spot is half black too. There

is not a thing in the instructions on this. Do I over lap half the PYN-up roundels on the

kit roundels? On the same aircraft the nose art has a white decal that sits on top of a blue background. What (FS# )is that? (SORRY BRITISH COLOR) :rofl: .

The second aircraft is a Mk. LF.Vb Spitfire (YO A). The roundels are the same way as the aircraft above, is that right? The instrunctions say the aircraft may of had the nose art on both sides of the nose. If so can I flip the nose art decal over? Or do I flip the white background decal? The white background is a silhouette of the girl and she faces left and right. The girl nose art decals both face left!

I am new to the Spitfire aircraft. But I want to build both AC. and a Mk. XIV. I have some books on the the lovely Spitfire. None show the roundels like that or the aircraft in question. Can someone help me. THANKS aka. VANDY 1 VX4 :thumbsup:

. But what is the deal with the roundels on the wings and fuseslage? They are half blue and black and the inside red spot is half black too.

I didn't notice that before. I can only assume it's a mistake made during the graphics production of the instructions. I'm going to use standard roundels. The photo of YOA shows standard roundels.

The photo of Tolly shows a lighter colored panel behind the art work. While the instructions show light blue it could very well be Zinc Chromate. It was painted at Thule by George Petty and he probably only had access to US paints. Neutral gray is also a possibility. George could have also mixed up a batch of light blue to his liking. It's your call.

On YOA I'd leave the starboard art off; it was very rare to have art on both sides. If you want to flip the white over to do it you'll have to rinse the glue off the one side and use Future underneath to act as an adhesive. The nude will have to face the back of the plane, flipping her will result with all the toning buried. I'm leaving it off on mine.

hth

Well, here's a review of the decals from right here on ARC by Steve Bamford but there is no mention of the weird roundels though they are shown that way on the instructions, but they seem pretty consistant color-wise on the decal sheet itself. Printing error on the instructions? I can't remember ever seeing roundels that were half blue and half black before though the dark blue on the roundels can often appear nearly black.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1...8008/rev651.htm

The first plane was also done on Aeromaster sheet 72-201 and the instructions there say to use standard roundels.

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/amd72201reviewrk_1.htm

I'd say use the roundels as supplied on the sheet and write off the half and half as a color printing error. Certainly something that obvious would have been mentioned somewhere in these reviews.

Hiya,

I think I remember this one! The decal instructions are that way due to concerns the Ministry of Defence were going to seek royalties from the use of the RAF roundel, due to copyright infringement. I believe this action was originally taken agaist the clothing brand Lambretta, but was dismissed during a court case. The multi-coloured roundel approach (and pick your own colour) was a way around that, though not needed any more.

HTH,

Mark.

Edited by lasermonkey