Thinning Enamels for A/B Use

Hey Guys! I hope everyone had a great holiday...

i am going to paint a car model and it'll be the first time i have ever shot enamels...

i have primed with tamiya silver leaf rattle can and wet sanded to a mirror finish... soon it will be time for paint... its going to be a bright green metal flake enamel

whats the best thinner, ratio, and pressure for an 'automotive' finish?

thanks!

heres the body and the engine...

LOTS of scratchbuilt stuff in here

I don't really know if it would work for a metal flake finish, but i typically go 2:1 thinner to paint for gloss enamel, though i dont use glass enamel much, usually flat, which generally takes more thinner, and shoot around 10-15 psi.

I don't think the enamelness (is that a word?) is a problem, especially if the base primer is lacquer or enamel as well. My bigger concern is the metal flake int he paint, which would make the paint a different consistency and weight than regular enamel paints. My suggestion would be to start off with a 2:1 thinner to enamel mix at 15psi and spray some test shots on a scrap piece of styrene, primed the same as your car of course. Then you can adjust the mixture or pressure from there.

you dont need to use MM brand thinner, but an enamel thinner or spirits of some sort is best, just doesn't have to be brand name. I picked up a huge gallon jug of generic enamel thinner at the local hardware store and it works just fine and costs alot less. i would keep the lacquer thinner for lacquers, its pretty hostile stuff.

I use lacquer thinner to thin my enamel paints all the time, without issue. It's pretty "hot" stuff though, so it will dry quickly.

I wouldn't spray it over acrylic, but IIRC, Tamiya rattle cans are lacquer based (they sure smell like it).

One other option for you....Tamiya makes an excellent bright metallic green in their rattle can line (TS-52 Candy Lime Green). It was brought out the same time as they released their 1:12 scale Kawasaki ZX-12 Ninja (same color as the bike in Green-Meanie's avatar BTW)

There will be no issue spraying this over your silver leaf, since they're the same base.

I use lacquer thinner to thin my enamel paints all the time, without issue. It's pretty "hot" stuff though, so it will dry quickly.

I agree that it certainly can be done, but its such a strong smelling and acting solvent, i try to use it as little as possible. of course, if that doesn't bother you, then mix away

I agree that it certainly can be done, but its such a strong smelling and acting solvent, i try to use it as little as possible. of course, if that doesn't bother you, then mix away