B-17G doubts

Hi guys.

I posted this on tools 'n tips, and some people sugest me to post here.

I´m starting a B-17G 1/48, and wanna put some lights in it. The kit manual gives the position of the outside lights (which im gonna do with optical fiber). I would like to know the positions and colors of the internal lights... Do the B-17´s had clear and red lights in the same compartments? If anyone knows it, please help me.

Another thing: i see models and WWII picts showing green fuselage interiors, and pictures of the surviving B-17 showing aluminium interiors. In WWII time there planes with NMF and interior green?

I´d be glad if somebody could help!

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Edited by Ricedd
This is a really good reference for interior finish colors. For a G you will almost certainly have a NMF interior, though, as the article says, there was a fair amount of individual variation from plane to plane. Ever since you posted the first time about the interior lights, ive kept my eyes open for some reference on it but so far I haven't seen anything.

Hiya,

here are some pics of the interior of Duxford's B-17G "Mary Alice" I was told that this aircraft was delivered to them unaltered from it's WW2 colours and that their restoration job is pretty spot-on. I'll take his word for it! Anyway, you can find the pics here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/1003/lasermo...ing%20Fortress/

HTH,

Mark.

Great reference photos, though I think the color may be incorrect. It looks to me like they used interior green for the control areas. This is very common in resotration projects since it was thought that all crew compartments were interior green, hence the name. However, very very few, if any, B-17s had interior green control areas. Most were bronze green or dull dark green. The colors for further back in the fuse are potentially accurace since they seem to show bare metal fuse with green zinc chromate bulk heads and supports. The turrets are close to the right color, though a little glossy, since turrets were usually DDG as well.

From the pictures I've seen, a majority of the interior lighting seems to be regular white lights. I'm no expert, but I would assume red lights would be on the flight deck and perhaps nav area. I don't think the other crew positions needed it. In any, case you wouldn't be wrong to just use all white interior lights. Red light is rather hard to see in the far dark recesses of a model flight deck. Just my 2 cents.

Here's a pic of my stab at interior lighting. Not trying for authenticity, just illuminate detail.

When you are ready for LEDs, check these out. The yeloglo white LEDs look like regular incandescent light bulbs, without the bluish tint that most white LEDs get, yet they are still LEDs with the same durability and duration.

Hey guys!

THANKS A LOT FOR THE INFORMATION!!!!!

Actually, I painted some areas interior green, where it was supposed to be bronze green or dull dark green... I´ll have to think what to do. Those pictures are a great reference!!!

Thanks once again!!!!

Regards

:lol: