Hi all. This is a quick build I did, more for trying out a few paint techniques than anything else. This is the OLD Monogram P-51B 1/48 kit. The one that comes in the brownish greenish styrene. The kit went together ok, but the detail kinda sucks. raised pannel lines, which i just didnt want to deal with fixing so they remain raised. very bare cockpit, and no floor (just missing from my kit, not all kits). it is basically OOB except i scratched a cockpit floor, reflector gunsight, .50 cal guns from hypodermic tube, and brake lines from the inside of a twist-tie. Paints are MM enamels. decals are a mix of national markings both US and German from the spares box and the German ID markings are home made. weathering was with a silver pen and tamiya smoke. Hope you like and feel free to comment!

port.jpg

front.jpg

starboardnose.jpg

starboardcockpit.jpg

top.jpg

bottom.jpg

starboardtail.jpg

portwing.jpg

Edited by jrallman
funny you should mention that, its on my list of to-dos, especially being a big Fort fan. I think I like this paint scheme best for that.

GB17G1a.gif

didnt the nazis call it a Do.200? Awesome work on the captured monogram P-51B I never noticed the spinner base as being red in the photos I have ( B&W ). ;)

Yeah , I've read that it was called the Do200 to hide its true identity. They used that particular captured B-17 for secret night missions of supply and troop drops behind lines and in England. Should be a fun build. As for the spinner base, I didn't know it was red either until I saw a few sketches of it done based on verbal accounts and they showed the red base. Another captured P-51B T9+HK had even more red, extending onto the cowel and scoop some, and had the OD removed to a NMF with the yellow under. I wanted to play with the worn OD and painted over US markings though, so I did this one. Thanks for looking and comments all.