Here is some pictures of the last Titan IV rocket launch. The Titan program has been part of the United States for around 50 years, from ICBMs to space launch vehcles. The Titan program meant a lot to me because my grandpa worked on it for many years.

It was sad to see this era end, but it was a thrill to watch her go out with a bang (well...rumble).

I was at the viewing site about 3 to 4 miles from the pad. This shot was taken probably about an hour or so before launch.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

And finally...I had this all planned out - the Air Force expecting about 4,000 VIP's (yes that's 4,000 - three zeros) to view this launch, and their viewing site was supposed to be the parking lot of the Titan processing facility about 5 miles away from the pad. Woo-hoo! My "secret" viewing spot around the corner from there will be mine, all mine! No pain in the *** crowds to deal with, no traffic, just hop back in the car and drive home after launch. Boy was I wrong :). I get out there a little over an hour before launch, get comfy and wait. Then, not long after that, here comes 5 or 6 cars. OK, fine, not too many people...I can deal with this. Well, following the cars were about 8 damn tour buses full of people ;). It was like a freakin' circus out there. It took me almost 30 minutes to get out of there to head home. That was about the only part of this event that really sucked.

Wow - Nice shots!

I remember watching a SLC-4 Titan launch back in 1980 when I was a Vandy-land. VERY high dB level and you could feel the ground shake (as well as your body) during launch. There's still a stack of Titan II RV nose cones piled up here at AMARC.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

ATB -

- Rip -

I'm pretty lucky - I've just got to walk out on my balcony 

Living in Cocoa Beach has it's advantages... 'Cept for the hurricanes 

Looks like you got an awesome view from there. We've got Atlas V coming next spring, and Delta IV already sitting on the pad, waiting for a launch (hopefully) next month. The Atlas V pad here is visible from the end of my street, as is the Titan IV pad, but I like to get as close as I can :beer4: :D.

Wow - Nice shots!

I remember watching a SLC-4 Titan launch back in 1980 when I was a Vandy-land.  VERY high dB level and you could feel the ground shake (as well as your body) during launch.  There's still a stack of Titan II RV nose cones piled up here at AMARC.

Thanks for sharing the photos!

ATB -

- Rip -

Yeah, Titan was a loud beast - you could hear it AND feel it :beer4:. This launch was setting off car alarms like crazy out at the viewing site. It was great :beer4:.

My cousin worked at the Martin plant in Denver where they were made and I got a tour through there once in the mid-70's, what a sight to see all those missles in various stages of production. But the topper was back in early 1965 when I got a guided tour through an active Titan I missle sile complex east of Denver