G'day people,

Here is a pic of my completed Matchbox (Revell boxing) Wellington. It represents a 455SQN aircraft based in Bone, Algeria in 1943. Attached to RAF Coastal Command, Wellingtons were equipped with ASV centimetric radar to detect surface running U-boats at night. Creeping up on them using the radar, the "Leigh" light (named after WG CMDR Leigh, its inventor) would be used to pin-point the sub. Although depth charges and torpedoes were more commonly used, thsu unit also used 80lb rockets to puncture the submarine's ballast tanks, preventing the sub from diving.

The kit mods included gluing the undercarriage in a retracted state, making the "Leigh" light (Matchbox supply the fairing but it is depicted in a retracted state) and adding the rockets. The rockets were lifted from a 1/72 Airfix Beaufighter kit, and are actually closer to the 60lb rockets, but I won't tell if you don't!

I used the kit decals. The weathereing is a mix of artist oils and pastels. The rigging is Ezy-line,

cheers,

Pappy