Question for flankerman

Hey ken, how does this work? ive seen pics where when the plane was airborne, the door or whole in the fairing is still present.

Whe then gear extends, is it just a point to point contact weight bearing thing? or is there some type of latching action? is the whole operation automatic, or is there some type of groundcrew pinning?

also, by the way, have you come across those sukhoi s-21 drawings yet?

Thanx in advance

Bela

Hey ken, how does this work? ive seen pics where when the plane was airborne, the door or whole in the fairing is still present.

Whe then gear extends, is it just a point to point contact weight bearing thing? or is there some type of latching action? is the whole operation automatic, or is there some type of groundcrew pinning?

also, by the way, have you come across those sukhoi s-21 drawings yet?

Thanx in advance

Bela

Bela,

I don't quite know fully how it works - but I think that a section slides out of the fairing - and engages onto a mechanism on the leg - which locks it in place.

It is all automatic AFAIK, it is not a groundrew thing.

I took this closeup at Lipetsk last year.... if you can work out what goes where and does what - good luck!

Ken

PS - Still looking for the S-21 drawings - they are around here somewhere - but I can't find them.... I really MUST have a tidy up!!

Thanks flankerman, this is still a total mystery to me. without looking directly into the hole, i guess ill never figure it out. I sorta thought that the whole affair was simply an impact bearing support point, because the gear wasnt mounted on a bulkhead, as opposed to a latching mechanism. but the actuator on the rear, suggesting forward and aft movement, blows that theory out of the water.

anyway, thanks again.