"G" for George in 1/48?

Hey all,

Does anyone know where I can get Lancaster decals in 1/48 for G for George?

Thanks,

Nimrod :rolleyes:

Assuming you mean 'G' George of 420 Sqn RAAF, then the answer is no. However, dull red squadron codes are readily available from Xtradecal and Modeldecal, but serials are more of a problem, and you'd have to find/ make your own mission markings.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks for the info guys :)

I'll have a look around for the kill markings on George and try to come up with something.

May have to make the trip to the Australian War Memorial (AWM) and have a look at her in person...

Cheers,

Nimrod

Thanks for the info guys :)

I'll have a look around for the kill markings on George and try to come up with something.

May have to make the trip to the Australian War Memorial (AWM) and have a look at her in person...

Cheers,

Nimrod

In truth, unless you're really sold on 1/48, I'd consider the Airfix 1/72 kit of the same subject. It can be readily found for less than £10 on eBay, has an accurate shape, and with all the money you save, you can afford some etched or resin detail (the Flighpath set has all you need) and a set of Falcon/ Squadron vac transparencies. The decal sheet is well-printed and in register.

OK, the Airfix kit has rivets (sand 'em off, or down - so did the real thing) and raised panel lines, but so does the Tamiya 1/48 kit, which is now really showing its age, and dubious value at £85 ish, even with the dinky little electric motors to spin the props.

If you want a more shake&bake approach, you could always buy a Hasegawa Lancaster, and use the Airfix decals.

Cheers,

Chris.

The logical attack plan is to 1) get yourself the Airfix 1/72-scale set, 2) have them scanned then 3) up-size them (in the computer) to 1/48-scale and 4) have them printed (in 1/48-scale). Technology - 'aint it wonderful?

I guess that "G-George's" markings aren't produced in 1/48-scale 'cos it'd only sell well here in Australia. I'll build "G-George" in 1/72-scale, myself.

George, out.............

In truth, unless you're really sold on 1/48, I'd consider the Airfix 1/72 kit of the same subject. It can be readily found for less than £10 on eBay, has an accurate shape, and with all the money you save, you can afford some etched or resin detail (the Flighpath set has all you need) and a set of Falcon/ Squadron vac transparencies. The decal sheet is well-printed and in register.

OK, the Airfix kit has rivets (sand 'em off, or down - so did the real thing) and raised panel lines, but so does the Tamiya 1/48 kit, which is now really showing its age, and dubious value at £85 ish, even with the dinky little electric motors to spin the props.

If you want a more shake&bake approach, you could always buy a Hasegawa Lancaster, and use the Airfix decals.

Cheers,

Chris.

I actualy was given a Tamyia 1/48 kit :) Hence the reason for the 1/48 decals. I was always going to do all my "heavies" in 1/72 just for pure storage considerations, but when the opertunity arose for a 1/48 kit I couldn't say no!

The logical attack plan is to 1) get yourself the Airfix 1/72-scale set, 2) have them scanned then 3) up-size them (in the computer) to 1/48-scale and 4) have them printed (in 1/48-scale). Technology - 'aint it wonderful?

I guess that "G-George's" markings aren't produced in 1/48-scale 'cos it'd only sell well here in Australia. I'll build "G-George" in 1/72-scale, myself.

George, out.............

I had thought of that.... anyone want to send me a scan of the Airfix decals????

Thanks again guys!

Nimrod

Edited by nimrod77

I have been informed that the xtradecal codes are the wrong shape for george. They should be rounded for George, not squared off.

Still hoping for a scan of the Airfix decals for a reference at least.......