I've started another...it's Revell's kit of the F-111/TFX from the 1960s (both the plane and the kit!).

Of course, given the GB, I'll build the Navy TFX version. The kit is quite nice, as it includes all the parts necessary to build either the Air Force or Navy version. The differences are pretty significant, including a different nose cone, different wing spans, and differences in tail.

tfx1.jpg

tfx2.jpg

Given the decals are vintage 1966, they don't look too bad.

The instrument panel is pretty nice, with a little dry-brushing and some clear gloss...

tfx6.jpg

Wings together, and gear doors in place. The kit, given its vintage, of course has working landing gear. I'm going to model this in-flight, so all the doors are glued shut. In the following pic you can see they don't fit all that well...

tfx4.jpg

tfx5.jpg

Filling the seams after gluing the Navy version extensions...

tfx3.jpg

And how it all fits together. I'll leave it so that the wings are movable.

tfx7.jpg

;)

Mike

Thanks guys. I made some progress over the long weekend...

You can see the nose section just doesn't fit well. It's so far off that there's no good way to avoid a huge step on the port side. I tried spreader bars (a piece of sprue glued underneath the cockpit, and other behind it), but that threw off the nose cone fit and created a gap between the inner fuselage wall and the cockpit.

So, it's taking some putty work and some elbow grease!

DSC04268.jpg

DSC04267.jpg

:D

Mike

• 2 months later...

I'm finally back on the forum...too many other projects and too much work!

I did finish this...thing. I can't say I'm happy with it, but luckily I planned on hanging it from my ceiling, so I guess nobody will be able to inspect it too closely! :)

The 45 year old decals worked just fine. Amazing...decals in new kits on the market are often worse than how these antiques handled.

DSC04294.jpg

DSC04293.jpg

DSC04291.jpg

DSC04298.jpg

DSC04297.jpg

Enjoy!

:doh:

Mike