Slime light positioning

I have been studying a large set of F-4E pictures. One thing I noticed is that the slime lights on the vertical stabs are not always at the same exact location. Are slime lights part of the original construction/structure or do get attached manually with someone simply eyeballing the location? Since they seem to be powered, I expected them to have precise locations but the pictures tell me otherwise.

Any info would be much appreciated.

I have been studying a large set of F-4E pictures. One thing I noticed is that the slime lights on the vertical stabs are not always at the same exact location. Are slime lights part of the original construction/structure or do get attached manually with someone simply eyeballing the location? Since they seem to be powered, I expected them to have precise locations but the pictures tell me otherwise.

Any info would be much appreciated.

I encountered the same on my F-4E build. After very carefully getting the light on the vertical stabilizer to match several reference pics I had, I found out that it was dead wrong for my particular jet. These lights were retrofitted, so the location can change from jet to jet, but I found that there are two prominent positions that are common to most. I also found the same thing on my A-10C build. The formation lights on the wingtips are literally all over the place from jet to jet, again because they were retrofitted.