Jump to content

johnlove_mk_II

Members
  • Content Count

    309
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About johnlove_mk_II

  • Rank
    Tenax Sniffer (Open a window!)

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Four attempts later and I now have a usable forward skirt for the S-IVB. Just had to dry-fit some parts together to get an idea of what she was going to look like. Makes the 20+ hours of failed prints seem a little more worth it. Now to finish up the thrust structure.
  2. Finished up the forward and aft skirts for the S-IVBs. Started printing last week, it took three iterations to finally get a near flawless print of the aft skirt. I learned a lot, so going forward I hope things will proceed a little more smoothly. Printing the forward skirt as I type this ... should have a semi-complete S-IVB in about six and a half hours.
  3. Exactly the same diameter. It's 331" ... or actually about 333" if you count the spray-on polyiso foam.
  4. I've actually given this a bit of thought myself and have even gone as far as to do a preliminary drawing or two. The core stage is roughly 4.6" in diameter at 1/72nd scale, so a piece 4" PVC might work in place of that, although the OD is slightly smaller at 4.5". You could get a piece of 4.75" Plastruct tubing and split and reduce the diameter down to 4.6". The SRBs are a section longer too, so you'd need to extend them a bit. Maybe two shuttle stack kits ... or just scratch them with your 3D parts and some 2" diameter tube. Totally doable, and since there's actual hardware n
  5. My bottle had some like filmy globs. Thinking back it honestly just looked as if maybe the top had filmed over because it had been exposed. I probably could have just filtered out all the solids, but there was only about a third of a bottle remaining so I just decided to not risk it and started with a fresh one. I'm just using the standard Anycubic grey 405nm stuff. A 1kg is like $24, a heck of a deal. For cleaning I've invested in one of the cleaning and curing stations. It really saves a ton of time and the parts come out flawless. I found the one I have for less t
  6. Thanks Jazz! I'm really pleased with how the Elegoo Saturn is performing – everything, so far, has printed beautifully. Oh, and I added no drains ... thought about it, but found that it wasn't necessary because of the small-ish size. Getting ready for the next round of printing so I started concentrating on the S-IVB thrust structure. Got most of the main items – now for all the fiddly bits.
  7. The final prints were straight up and down. Like this: On my first attempt I did have them canted 45° and they came out ok, but there were way too many supports to clean up in critical places.
  8. Thanks everybody! The second (and third) prints, with the new supports, completed without issue. I now have a baker's dozen of perfect J-2s ready to roll. Pete - Those are straight from the printer with no sanding or anything. The Elegoo Saturns have a 4K resolution so there's very little stair-stepping. You really have to take a magnifying glass to see it at all, which is awesome.
  9. The first proof print of the J-2s is complete. Was hoping to do the first print this weekend but I discovered that my resin had gone funky so I had to order a new bottle. I'd say I'm about 95% there. There where no failures but I think I may have been a little too heavy-handed with the supports. (Some of the details where obliterated during clean-up.) Going to try again with an updated support scheme and I might dial back the exposure time ever so slightly. Pretty chuffed at how these guys turned out.
  10. Finished up the J-2, now to try to get it to print. Setting up for that today and hopefully should have some freshly minted J-2s sometime tomorrow. Decided to get all the propulsion out of the way first so I'm digging into the F-1s currently. Going to try to model them with the TPS blankets, which will likely require that I learn some Blender. So the plan is to design the foundation in Rhino first and then add the wrinkled texture and such via Blender. That's the plan anyway. Fingers crossed.
  11. Thanks guys! Information on the J-2 is pretty scarce, so most of my references are photos. When I visited KSC a few years back I spent a few gigabytes on the J-2 they have there in the garden. I got a total walk-around and way more detail shots than I likely would have ever needed. I did get my overall shape from one of the few three-view drawings I've found, then I just started adding things in as best I could with a ton of dead-reckoning using the photos. Been a slow go of it lately, and I'm kinda tired of the J-2, so I'm going to work on the thrust structure for a
  12. Here's the J-2 so far. Think I'm getting there, but there's a lot of little things to add.
  13. Received my set of Rick's decals from Cult TV Man yesterday. No surprises, they're absolutely perfect – like always.
  14. Hi Habu - I know, it looks a little weird right? I decided to model it as close to "launch-ready" as possible so I'm including the rarely seen impingement curtain that bridges that gap between the edge of the thrust structure and bottom of the aft skirt. (I think it's there to protect the aft skirt equipment boxes from the S-II retros.) Not sure what it's made of exactly, because I've found very little info on it, but it does have what looks to be zipper closures for accessing the equipment and such. I still need to add the surface details and make it look wrinkled somehow.
  15. The J-2 is coming along well. Not absolutely perfect, but I'm pretty satisfied so far. I keep reminding myself that this is 1/72 scale and a tube not having the absolute perfect curvature isn't going to be the end of the world, especially if it's to be partially obscured by some other little detail.
×
×
  • Create New...