Hello,

I remember building this many many years ago. I need to do some repairs to it.

I know this is a pretty basic kit, but in order to get the juices flowing again, I got another one yesterday.

hog.jpg

But this time I would like to do either a Medevac or a civilian version.

Questions: Is this a C version Huey? Could this be used as a Medevac? (I suppose that in Vietnam, they would use anything that flew for Medevac if needed. ) If so, what would it take to do the conversion? How about a civilian SAR or Medevac version? Any reference pics? I didn't find much in Google.

Thanks,

Ismael Gonzalez

Puerto Rico

It's actually kind of a hybrid the way it's molded.It does contain certain Charlie model features, but to make it a true Charlie model you need to get the Cobra Co. conversion to do a propper "C".As far as I know C's were built as interim gunships untill the Cobra's arrived on scene so I don't think it would be propper to build it as a medivac ship. Good luck!.

The C model(most were later upgraded to the M model by installing the T53-L-13 engine) was designed to be used as a gunship and would not have been used in a medivac role. That is not to be said the from time to time, one would land and pick up wounded, if the need arose.

Our unit would use one as a medivac when we went to the ranges. The weapons were not carried, but all other gunship equipment was left in, we would throw litter's and medical kits in and carry one or two of our unit medic's in them. We would sit near the range tower, ready to go, if the need arose.

I don't know if any C models ever made it to the civilian side, most were kept in military use, mainly in NG and Reserve units until replaced by Conra's in the 80's and 90's. After that they were sent to friendly nations under the MAP program or the boneyard(some made it to musuems). I know one C model is one display at Pima Air and Space.

Edited by grandadjohn